Why become a member? ×

Pick, fingers or both? - also if pick, which do you use?

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly fingers but occasionally a pick. I have a wooden one which I've nicely 'worn in' but was a gift so no idea where it came from or I use a thick felt job....much to the mirth of my band mates who refer to it as a 'kiddy' pick (barstewards)

Edited by ricksterphil

Over 30 years of being fingers only and not being comfortable with a pick at all.

In the last 18 months or so I've worked on it and managed get to the point where pick playing feels quite natural. I use a few different types but find these the nicest.

20210514_185037.thumb.jpg.8def1c0680557ddfce8b4f77e668dce7.jpg

Bit of both... pick would be a Jim Dunlop Jazz III, from Gu!tar days... or a 1mm Tortex 'Midi'

Flats 'n Thumb Rest (I do like a thumb rest...) on the GSR200, so more fingers on that... not sure about a pick on flats?... ordered some cheapy wooden picks from the bay...

EDIT: Fixed the problem by getting another GSR200... £50 Cheapy... for Rounds n a pick!

Edited by PaulThePlug

after watching a Fat Mike video I've changed to a thinner pick, 1mm Dunlop down to a 60mm Nylon Dunlop, I've found it does make fast up and down playing easier if you can avoid the temptation to hit the strings too hard.

Not done a gig yet with a thinner pick but I'm definitely (make sure you spell that right, or you might be accused of being the 4th man 😂) going to try it

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprising to see some fairly heavy picks being used, I go with 0.73mm or thinner, 0.73 is the absolute heaviest I go with,  I find that with heavier picks I end up absolutely battering the strings and ending up with lots of buzz, how do you heavier pick players keep your attack light enough for it to work or do you just use a high action ?

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

Surprising to see some fairly heavy picks being used, I go with 0.73mm or thinner, 0.73 is the absolute heaviest I go with,  I find that with heavier picks I end up absolutely battering the strings and ending up with lots of buzz, how do you heavier pick players keep your attack light enough for it to work or do you just use a high action ?

it's all in the fingers 😂

seriously I find it easier to do fast up and down picking with a slightly heavier pick, I use 0.94's 

Edited by PaulWarning

2 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

The clank is kinda the point!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has always been fingers until a few years ago when I got into Bobby Vega's playing which inspired me to spend some time with the pick over lockdown and now it's beginning to feel more natural. One of my earliest musical influences was Chris Squire, so the pick technique I've worked on is based on his where I'm only using the very tip of the pick and letting the side of my thumb on down strokes contact the string which adds an harmonic edge to the notes.

Use fingers for when I want the lines to swing or for quick staccato lines, think Stratus, and the pick very much in the Squire vein (I'm not delusional enough think I can play like him!) or for lines that benefit from filling out with lots of ghost rhythm notes (ghost notes obviously play a big part of groove/funk finger playing I'm thinking more rhythm guitar style with the pick). 20211021_001309.thumb.jpg.fffe07c4341485243f004cdd9e298903.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The_Rodster said:

The black Dunlop nylon 1 mm picks for me.  I can keep hold of them and they don't snap 🙂

I used to use them but could never find the bloody things at a dark pub gig on top of my dark amp, so I switched to .94mm luminous ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271293877634?hash=item3f2a600d82:g:tsUAAOxy-sRSVCjC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1