Why become a member? ×

Anyone else find 'orrible 'armonics on Rotosound Swing '66 E string?

kwmlondon

I've just changed the strings on my MIJ Jazz. I don't know what was on before, they came with the bass when I got it - the guy said D'Arrios - pink thread around the top. The 4th string on these new Rotosound '66s sounds like it has a really unpleasant harmonic ring to it that didn't seem to be there before. The pickups aren't too close, and I've tried moving them further away in case and it's made no difference. Anyone else found this? Maybe it'll go away once they're played in a bit. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

TBH I wasn't too bothered about the Rotosounds anyway, I've heard they can cause neck trouble further down the line but I had them hanging around - not going to get them next time, for sure.

Cheers!

Just now, Jonse said:

I've experienced this with fresh sets of d'addario chromes. Went away after about an hour of playing and getting the string the settle in.  

Thanks. I’ve done a good couple of hours practise though and it’s still dissonant. Hopefully it’ll naff off in a few days. 

10 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

Thanks. I’ve done a good couple of hours practise though and it’s still dissonant. Hopefully it’ll naff off in a few days. 

Yeah, weird. Could be more pronounced as the rotos are round wounds. Could be a dodgy string though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonse said:

Yeah, weird. Could be more pronounced as the rotos are round wounds. Could be a dodgy string though. 

Argh. Hope not. I just had a set of DR High beans with a duff 1st string. The d’darios on before were  rounds and they were okay.

17 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Try loosening the string, turn the ball end a little and tune. Sometimes the ball doesn't sit right against the bridge and causes a slight overtone.

True, I sometimes produce overtones when my balls aren’t sitting right.

• Haha 5

On 02/01/2021 at 18:20, hooky_lowdown said:

Try loosening the string, turn the ball end a little and tune. Sometimes the ball doesn't sit right against the bridge and causes a slight overtone.

Yep, if it has a slight 'chorus' overtone its probably slightly twisted. As said, loosen it a bit then bring it back up to tension/tuning

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it sounds like either a twisted string or a dodgy string, happens with all string brands, you get a dodgy one every once in a while, ask the place you brought from to replace it (if it is that and is not twisted) and if they don't help then email Rotosound.

Oh, and don't believe the crap about them causing neck issues, bunch of nonsense, if your bass neck can withstand Daddario or Ernie Ball strings it will have no problem with Rotos

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

Well, as the strings have bedded in the E has lost a bit of the nasty harmonic ring. I won't be buying Rotos again though, think I'll try D'darios.

Ironically you just reminded me to take off the set of prosteels I have on one of my basses lol, I thought maybe they were not matched well with the bass so moved them to another bass and they sound just as bass,there nickel strings are ok but prosteels are dreadful (imho)

Edited by shoulderpet

21 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Ironically you just reminded me to take off the set of prosteels I have on one of my basses lol, I thought maybe they were not matched well with the bass so moved them to another bass and they sound just as bass,there nickel strings are ok but prosteels are dreadful (imho)

I tried the Prosteels, being a stainless steel fan, but it took a while until they sounded ok to me. When fresh they just had too much top end and felt even slightly mid-scooped, but after a few weeks they settled nicely. I since moved to other strings that get me there faster, I hate the sound of new strings and Prosteels were one of the worst in that respect (which means they might just be great for someone who likes the zing of new strings)

6 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I tried the Prosteels, being a stainless steel fan, but it took a while until they sounded ok to me. When fresh they just had too much top end and felt even slightly mid-scooped, but after a few weeks they settled nicely. I since moved to other strings that get me there faster, I hate the sound of new strings and Prosteels were one of the worst in that respect (which means they might just be great for someone who likes the zing of new strings)

I love the tone of new strings(at least with roundwounds) so the brightness was not an issue, it was more the massive mid scoop, it's like half the tone spectrum is missing with prosteels

• Like 2

Usually I love the sound of new strings but this Jazz I've got, well, it's hard to tell really. It's been so long since I played with other musicians it's kind of pointless as I've no idea how it sounds in a mix. Sounds good with a cheap USB/Instrument cable going into garage band but I've not pursued that much really. I ought to...

Yes, it was exactly that problem especially with 45 - 105 gauge.  I changes to Elite Stadiums 50 - 110 and I suddenly had a notes all the way up the E string instead of strange overtones.  I have now changed to NewTone strings, 50 - 110 and they're even better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bertbass said:

Yes, it was exactly that problem especially with 45 - 105 gauge.  I changes to Elite Stadiums 50 - 110 and I suddenly had a notes all the way up the E string instead of strange overtones.  I have now changed to NewTone strings, 50 - 110 and they're even better.

Right, okay, interesting - is it your opinion it's the change of make of string or the different gauge or both? Another question - how different is the feel, playing heavier gauge?

Change of make with out a doubt.  I also found that the Rotosounds had a 'floppy' E string which tended to sound sharp until it settled down and the heavier gauge and make cured this.  Also, with Rotosound I had to change string monthly  or one of them was guaranteed to break.  With both Elites and NewTone this was / is never a problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bertbass said:

Change of make with out a doubt.  I also found that the Rotosounds had a 'floppy' E string which tended to sound sharp until it settled down and the heavier gauge and make cured this.  Also, with Rotosound I had to change string monthly  or one of them was guaranteed to break.  With both Elites and NewTone this was / is never a problem.

Thanks, this is really helpful. Much appreciated. I *think* the bass came strung with D'darios, and there was a nice "thump" with the attack, and I just happened to have some Rotosounds hanging around so I fitted them and they are very disappointing. The Elites seem good value, I'll try a set. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2021 at 15:01, bertbass said:

Elites became a bit hard to find which is why I switched to NewTone and found them to be a lot better and they are made to your specification and they are British.

Yeah Newtones are good strings, the only downside is the 2 week wait, I tried Prosteels once instead of waiting and they were dreadful

• Like 1