Why become a member? ×

The Pretenders - Sky Arts

Lozz196

So just watching The Pretenders on Sky Arts and thought should comment on the bass, a great supporting-role sound, and I suppose inevitably a Precision/Ampeg set up. Nothing fancy, when the guitars are going it’s not really noticeable but when they drop out you hear how well it works with the drums and can appreciate the foundation that is laid for the guitars & keys (just saw a bit better, slide guitar not keys) to work on. My preferred style and type of sound for bass I suppose.

Edit - and I should also add that Chrissie Hynde doesn’t appear to have lost any of her vocal chops - unlike many other singers of her age.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

Last year I joined a band with two guitarists and my Precision, sonically, fits nicely in the mix without getting lost and definitely gives a really good solid platform to the band. 

One of the guitarists is a big Pretenders fan and we play  'Back On The Chain gang' in the set, which has a great bassline.

The P bass sounds great on that one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

So just watching The Pretenders on Sky Arts and thought should comment on the bass, a great supporting-role sound, and I suppose inevitably a Precision/Ampeg set up. Nothing fancy, when the guitars are going it’s not really noticeable but when they drop out you hear how well it works with the drums and can appreciate the foundation that is laid for the guitars & keys (just saw a bit better, slide guitar not keys) to work on. My preferred style and type of sound for bass I suppose.

Edit - and I should also add that Chrissie Hynde doesn’t appear to have lost any of her vocal chops - unlike many other singers of her age.

Just watching that myself. Yep, still no mistaking Chrissie's voice.

I also caught ABC on Jool's Hootenanny the other night. Sounded good and thought Martin Fry still has a decent voice.