Why become a member? ×

Amps With a Valve Pre (like the Streamliner)

bassjamm

Hey gang — I’m getting back into playing more after about 10 years out the loop. And, well, I’m tryna’ figure out what current/newer amps are most like the Genz Benz Streamliner?

Now, I know the Streamliners aren’t ancient. But, still, what’s the the newer equivalents please?

The valve pre always did it for me with them. That’s the same reason I loved the Orange Tiny Terror. Nice warmth to the tone.

So, yes — any suggestions on amps with a vale pre would be appreciated please.

Ashdown ABM600 EVO IV. It’s an amazingly powerful and flexible amp, Class A/B so a real depth/weight to the sound but at only 13kg. The only thing I’d say re the Valve Drive is that it’s not like traditional drive, it’s not distortion as such, it just brings in a real warmth to the sound plus the associated harmonics of the valve at work.

• Like 1

If you’re wanting a physically smaller amp, the Genzler Magellan is pretty much an evolution of the Streamliner (same designer), and though it doesn’t have an actual valve in it, it can do that valve warmth very, very well. It can also do lots of other tones, too; I’d say it was one of the most versatile amps you can buy. I followed a Streamliner with one, and was very happy.

I have  a Carvin B1000, which has a preamp valve. I like it Has 6 band eq, so is tonally very versatile. They're not common, but worth trying one if you can. I swapped the ECC83 valve for a slightly lower gain version, which gives a more finessed transition when moving between clean and valvey sounds.