Why become a member? ×

Saved recordings on GarageBand reason etc..do I delete or keep ?

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

18 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Happier new year ! 

I've recorded a fair amount of noise over the last few months .. The files have been saved , also saved on iTunes .

Do i still need to keep files , or do I bin them ? 
Just wondering about space on Mac etc 

cheers 

I guess that would depend if you ever wanted to remix or rework them.

if you are happy with the wavs and /or mp3s you have then just keep some backups safe somewhere 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Thanks 1

Never delete anything. You never know when you might want to rework it. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days, so there absolutely no reason not to keep everything.

Just make sure you keep all the files you need for each project together. I believe GarageBand does this automatically (although you should check to make sure) Logic has a setting when you save to store all the associated external files with each project. For other DAWs check the manual.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Thanks 1

GarageBand saves its project files in a folder inside your user account on the hard drive so it should be fairly easy to back them up. 

As others have said, you definitely want to keep the original project files for working/mixing in the future and storage is so cheap. You get 30gb storage space with a Google/gmail account so could create one just for backing your files up

15 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

GarageBand saves its project files in a folder inside your user account on the hard drive so it should be fairly easy to back them up. 

As others have said, you definitely want to keep the original project files for working/mixing in the future and storage is so cheap. You get 30gb storage space with a Google/gmail account so could create one just for backing your files up

"The Cloud" is a terrible idea for large file storage until everyone has a constant super-fast internet connection, also as far as backing up music project files goes 30GB is minuscule.

Save cloud storage for email and small files that you need to access from multiple devices and get a good quality hard drive for your music files. 

If you are prepared to pay for a reliable backup service (not Google where you are constantly at the whim of their current user agreement) then cloud storage makes a decent second-tier back-up source (after your local backup source).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

"The Cloud" is a terrible idea for large file storage until everyone has a constant super-fast internet connection, also as far as backing up music project files goes 30GB is minuscule.

Save cloud storage for email and small files that you need to access from multiple devices and get a good quality hard drive for your music files. 

If you are prepared to pay for a reliable backup service (not Google where you are constantly at the whim of their current user agreement) then cloud storage makes a decent second-tier back-up source (after your local backup source).

It was just a suggestion to say there’s 30gb of free storage available if needed, that it’s easy to use for backing up music files and would be an acceptable solution for keeping the files safe rather than binning the original files and regretting it later on.

Having worked as a web developer for over 15 years I’m well aware of how cloud storage works and the pros and cons, it was just a quick and easy suggestion to help the OP backup files.

• Thanks 1