Why become a member? ×

Chowny floating bridge question

spencer.b

Got my chowny chb2 that's the 34" one out today and started messing with the action and now the G has got a mad phasing double note quality to it, should the threads that the circular adjusters go on be up inside the lower part of the bridge cos before they were slightly proud and have marked the top so I thought it that doesn't seem right so moved em up inside 

Edited by spencer.b

If I understand what you mean, and I think I do, then no the thread should not protrude out of the bridge. If the thread is sticking out then the bridge contact to the body is only the tip of the threads (unless it pushes into the wood as yours sounds to have done). The bridge to body contact should be at its maximum by having the entire bottom of the bridge sitting firmly on the body. 

The phasing is probably from the kink in the string, where it was sitting on the bridge previously. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

If I understand what you mean, and I think I do, then no the thread should not protrude out of the bridge. If the thread is sticking out then the bridge contact to the body is only the tip of the threads (unless it pushes into the wood as yours sounds to have done). The bridge to body contact should be at its maximum by having the entire bottom of the bridge sitting firmly on the body. 

The phasing is probably from the kink in the string, where it was sitting on the bridge previously. 

Yeah spot on mate  , swapped the string and problem solved , previous owner had the bridge a good 1cm to far forward

Re. the bridge, thanks for that , I thought as much ,didn't seem right with the threads sticking out

Edited by spencer.b

I had a similar issue when I had mine and you could see where the bridge inserts had made indentations nearer the bridge pickup as the previous owner had tried to set the intonation. I lived with the slight intonation outage ( was on flats)  but  moved mine on having never tried setting the bridge at a slight angle to the strings to help cure it.

P1050089.thumb.JPG.289d86375f77b223fb46c97143f283bc.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I had a similar issue when I had mine and you could see where the bridge inserts had made indentations nearer the bridge pickup as the previous owner had tried to set the intonation. I lived with the slight intonation outage ( was on flats)  but  moved mine on having never tried setting the bridge at a slight angle to the strings to help cure it.

P1050089.thumb.JPG.289d86375f77b223fb46c97143f283bc.JPG

Possibly the very bass in question, intonation isn't perfect but I've got close enough by moving the bridge around having wound the threads up just above flush

11 hours ago, spencer.b said:

Possibly the very bass in question, intonation isn't perfect but I've got close enough by moving the bridge around having wound the threads up just above flush

Yes, seem to recall selling it to you. Like I say have seen them with the  bridge at a slight angle to compensate a bit more on the intonation, its usually top E that is out so angle accordingly if flat or sharp.