Why become a member? ×

Thomann prices?

danbowskill

10 minutes ago, ambient said:

I believe it’s going to impact sales to and from NI too?

It is - from any logical point of view, Northern Ireland is effectively in the EU and separated from us now, with a caviat that they can say they aren't. Like Gibraltar. Think it was too much for boris and he didn't care about it unlike Theresa!

4 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

You can't beat a Browning!!

Biased much? 😛

Quire an interesting documentary. The Browning was the worst gun available - but the only that could be installed in to 4 locations on each side of the plane... and was right on the limit of “acceptable” firepower - as proven by the maths.

Edited by EBS_freak

17 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Biased much? 😛

Quire an interesting documentary. The Browning was the worst gun available - but the only that could be installed in to 4 locations on each side of the plane... and was right on the limit of “acceptable” firepower - as proven by the maths.

Where is this documentary?

Edited by LukeFRC

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That wasn't the one I saw, but I might watch that later. 

It was this Channel 5 one. 

https://www.channel5.com/show/the-battle-of-britain-3-days-that-saved-the-nation/

Not being the type that watches a lot of these WW2 documentaries I realised that I didn't actually know much about the details. The sheer number of German planes coming over at a time got me. Wave after wave of 500 or more German planes were sent in one day. Also I didn't know that the Polish pilots in the RAF were the ones with the knowledge of how to fight the Germans. 

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

https://www.channel5.com/show/the-battle-of-britain-3-days-that-saved-the-nation/

Not being the type that watches a lot of these WW2 documentaries I realised that I didn't actually know much about the details. The sheer number of German planes coming over at a time got me. Wave after wave of 500 or more German planes were sent in one day. Also I didn't know that the Polish pilots in the RAF were the ones with the knowledge of how to fight the Germans. 

And although it goes against the romantic story of the code breakers, the bombe was originally a Polish invention.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Interesting programme with Guy Martin where he helps to rebuild a Spitfire. During the programme he takes a .303 to a BMW. Scary consequences. 

37 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And although it goes against the romantic story of the code breakers, the bombe was originally a Polish invention.

That's it, I've binned my white scarf and I'm off to shave off my handlebar moustache. 

Thank goodness the roundel tattoo was from my bubblegum. 

WWII? Spitefires? Well, maybe not a good idea to bring that up in a thread discussing the "German" retailer Thomann 😉

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I did watch that program last night about the Battle Of Britain, it was quite interesting to be honest. 

Ahh the sound of those Spitfires. 😉

46 minutes ago, Maude said:

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Once you add the VAT to the the prices on Thomann's site they're petty much what they were over the past few months. Some items are a little cheaper than in the UK some a little more expensive. So their prices are a known and fairly easy and straight forward to understand.

What puts me off buying from Thomann currently are the unknowns and non price factors. As a UK consumer I can no longer rely on EU distance selling regulations for purchases from EU countries (distance selling regs have been rolled over for now into UK law to cover UK purchases, but that doesn't help if I buy from Thomann). Where do you stand with warranties? Do companies you buy from outside the UK have to abide by or provide a warranty? How would you return an item that needed repair? Would you be able to return something for repair? I returned an amp to Thomann for repair once, nothing could have been simpler. Download the postage labels, take to the PO, send it off, it was back within 2 weeks. Anything you send back now would need a customs declaration, fill it out wrong and who knows what fun will ensue. 

Non-tariff barriers are going to be a major headache of you've been used to regularly buying from EU countries.

Buying from an EU country will be little different than buying from the US, Japan or any other country for that matter. How many of us buy regularly and without a second thought from the US, for example?

Yes, a lot of hassle and I also still don't know how much custom duty I will have to pay for a £1700 bass bought from Thomann. Anyone?

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, a lot of hassle and I also still don't know how much custom duty I will have to pay for a £1700 bass bought from Thomann. Anyone?

As a general rule of thumb add 25% on top and you won’t go too far wrong. Yes, you can get an accurate figure online I’m sure, but this will give you a ball park.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

At a complete guess (not helpful I know) I'd estimate adding 25% on top, as you used to for imports from outside the EU previously. 

20% VAT and 5% to cover other fees. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

WWII? Spitefires? Well, maybe not a good idea to bring that up in a thread discussing the "German" retailer Thomann 😉

I’m half German and I’m always amazed at the capacity for any conversation about the Germans to end up at WW2 somehow (no matter how circuitous). 

I remember spending Christmas with some German relatives and as we’re flicking through the channels they were amazed to see that the History channel was choosing to celebrate such a wonderful day by showing The World at War in its entirety. 

Strange country this one.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I don't want to sound childish, but @EBS_freak started it.

He brought up two wars one cup..........oh hang on, that might've been a different 'docunentary'. 😉

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I’m half German and I’m always amazed at the capacity for any conversation about the Germans to end up at WW2 somehow (no matter how circuitous). 

I remember spending Christmas with some German relatives and as we’re flicking through the channels they were amazed to see that the History channel was choosing to celebrate such a wonderful day by showing The World at War in its entirety. 

I agree that our (Britain's) obsession with 'the war' is obsurd. I watched the documentary because, as I mentioned, my knowledge on it is lacking as I'm really not into all that war stuff. It seems that on freeview you could see a program about the war every day if you were so inclined. As you say, strange. 

The one I watched was factual and not celebratory, and focused quite a bit on Luftwaffe flying ace Adolf Galland. 

31 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

At some point Britain (or more accurately England) will face up to the fact that it isn’t the head of a great Empire any more, and will stop carping on about the last big war it played a small part in winning ... untill that time we will have WW2 constantly referenced and the head-in-the-sand exceptionalism of the English Phych ... Which directly leads to us paying more for things from Thomann 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

At some point Britain (or more accurately England) will face up to the fact that it isn’t the head of a great Empire any more, and will stop carping on about the last big war it played a small part in winning ... untill that time we will have WW2 constantly referenced and the head-in-the-sand exceptionalism of the English Phych ... Which directly leads to us paying more for things from Thomann 

Exactly the point I was making when I made my comment.

Its the British Empire mentality that needs to be cut down a peg or two. And ironically, as a nation, it looks like it’s done it to itself.

• Like 2

The German VAT rate is 19%. It used to be that if you bought something you paid the VAT rate in the country of purchase - probably why Thomman’s prices were so keen - now of course VAT is paid to our government at 20% plus the couriers handling fee. The German rate had been temporarily just 16%, it increased from yesterday.