Why become a member? ×

Thomann prices?

danbowskill

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I bought a Nikon camera from Japan as a grey import about five years ago, all charges paid at the checkout, I saved about 20-25%. All kosher, except it had the wrong pinout on the charger.

Neil

Hdew, Panamoz etc... and to think there's a middle man in there that is still making money...

Pah - ripoff Britain. Of course, we won't be subject to all of that now.

Oh.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1

I've just had a quick browse of Thomann...and their prices are quite expensive now. To replace my Sire V7 with one from Thomann would be £359 +vat. The VAT takes it to £430 (plus possible courier charges). The same bass is £389 from the only UK stockist. 

For someone as boringly nit picky as me then the no VAT is clear, however I can see a lot of people (mainly guitarists and drummers) not paying that much attention to the small print.

Then of course getting any item over a trade border if it needs a repair is not going to be easy I imagine. 

No more Thomann for me.

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've just had a quick browse of Thomann...and their prices are quite expensive now. To replace my Sire V7 with one from Thomann would be £359 +vat. The VAT takes it to £430 (plus possible courier charges). The same bass is £389 from the only UK stockist. 

Do Andertons actually have any in stock though?

On 21/01/2021 at 20:09, paul_c2 said:

So people aren't aware that there's import duty??? I guess its possible....but I think most people know import duty exists. As for UPS charging £82 for a £200 item when the rate of import duty is max 25%, they're taking the P and it seems, taking commercial advantage of a situation.

Most of the people I’ve spoken to about this have never bought anything from the States before (or anywhere outside Europe) and yes, they generally have had no idea about import duty. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

For someone as boringly nit picky as me then the no VAT is clear, however I can see a lot of people (mainly guitarists and drummers) not paying that much attention to the small print.

The biggest clue is that, generally speaking if not in your specific situation, the cost of most things listed on Thomann has just dropped 20%, and will be approx 20% less than the UK price.  You would think that would prompt the thought process of why a little, particularly if theyre no stranger to Thomann.

By the way, 5 days now since I received my Musik-Productiv order that charged a price including all VAT/Duty, and no letter requesting any money from UPS yet...

20 minutes ago, Kev said:

By the way, 5 days now since I received my Musik-Productiv order that charged a price including all VAT/Duty, and no letter requesting any money from UPS yet...

Well, let's hope this letter will never come and is not just delayed like so many other letters/parcels/packages etc. 😉

24 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Well, let's hope this letter will never come and is not just delayed like so many other letters/parcels/packages etc. 😉

Not too worried if it does to be honest, I have a more than adequate audit trail to show that Musik Productiv would need to reimburse all costs, would just be a faff!

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Not too worried if it does to be honest, I have a more than adequate audit trail to show that Musik Productiv would need to reimburse all costs, would just be a faff!

Well, if you still need a lawyer, then I strongly recommend unleashing Jim Adler 😎

I've just bought a Mono pedalboard with the club case. It was B-stock so I only paid £136 for the board itself, but I just got charged a further £53.06 in duties and handling fees, bringing the total to £189.06. Before Brexit they were listed at about £180... my only justification is that if I bought in the UK I'd have to buy the board and the case separately which would've cost about £300!

On 26/01/2021 at 17:27, Kev said:

Unlikely to get a letter now.

The process is if you owe any money in VAT or duty, the carrier requests it before they will deliver. If you've already got your order then job done.

46 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Did they give you a breakdown of charges?   VAT would be about £26 of that - what's the rest?

It was "Government charges" of £41.56 and "brokerage charges" of 11.50... tracking implies it hasn't left Germany yet so I wonder if they might still charge VAT when it enters the UK... that would suck!

9 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

It was "Government charges" of £41.56 and "brokerage charges" of 11.50... tracking implies it hasn't left Germany yet so I wonder if they might still charge VAT when it enters the UK... that would suck!

Brokerage - aka handling is usually that kinda figure from all of the carriers.  Does anyone out there know the current import duty (if any) of musical instruments into the UK - the online one I usually use has it at 0% so just VAT is payable? 

Lat time I ordered parts from outside the EU (USA)  I paid around $50 priority shipping (72 hours?). The stuff took 3 weeks to arrive, customs in Coventry lost it for a week. Had to pay VAT and customs charge before delivery. EU could be like that now. Thomann was good while it lasted, usually had delivery within 3 days.

A quick check of the Government Trade Tarrif website https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9207901000#import would show, for example, guitars to be subject to 20%, 2% 3rd World Duty and 0% import duty.  - £500 guitar + £100 VAT and £10 3rd World Duty = £610 plus a small brokerage fee of say £15.  Total additional fees £125.   I'd suggest people start asking questions if there are dubious looking sums being requested.

5 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

A quick check of the Government Trade Tarrif website https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9207901000#import would show, for example, guitars to be subject to 20%, 2% 3rd World Duty and 0% import duty.  - £500 guitar + £100 VAT and £10 3rd World Duty = £610 plus a small brokerage fee of say £15.  Total additional fees £125.   I'd suggest people start asking questions if there are dubious looking sums being requested.

It's more than that. The VAT is usually the last thing added. So the postage, brokerage fees etc would all be subject to an extra 20% as well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Over £135 its free

Yup, changed to coincide with the Ex VAT prices above that price point.  So, technically, Thomann is never free delivery any more, as instead of delivery you'll be paying handling charges.