Why become a member? ×

Thomann prices?

danbowskill

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah Boomers vs Millennials! Hooray another excellent topic to keep me from spending quality time with my quality Japanese bass designed in Japan and built in Indonesia before being shipped to London, very possibly via Suez and a warehouse in the EU. 

I just call it a Yammy. 

I’m not going there if you’re not.

i know you said there’s no black and white on this subject, but what colours is the Yamaha? 

(I wrote “Yammy“ and couldn’t bring myself to use it sorry)

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

Yes, nailed it. However, I don't know how many millennials there are here in Basschat, probably not enough to affect this discussion anyway! 

...... at least one! And I think @Matt P is about my age too!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I’m not going there if you’re not.

i know you said there’s no black and white on this subject, but what colours is the Yamaha? 

(I wrote “Yammy“ and couldn’t bring myself to use it sorry)

Well white IS the new 🖤, right? 

On 01/01/2021 at 16:19, danbowskill said:

I Gather its to do with leaving the EU 🤷‍♂️... Just having a gander at pedals on thomann and the prices on everything are super low.

The new darkglass Adam is 385

Ok Dan. Did we answer the Q correctly? 

I was wrong. I meant Gen Z not Millennial. I'm a Millennial, just. But I guess more later Millennials are still edging towards shopping online. So I guess the statement from earlier still stands.

Edited by EBS_freak

i'm not sure I can be classed as a millennial, I turn 40 on Friday and i think I'm more the end of generation X rather than the beginning of generation Y/Millennial, I have older siblings and i think i followed their way of thinking.

the dates are very vague for the crossover points, and i think your upbringing influences you a lot, my younger sister doesn't think of herself as a millennial, and my wife is of a similar age and outlook. I think it's more to do with when your parents grew up rather than when you were born.

@Jack most people think i am younger than i really am, must be my healthy diet (of beer and pies) 

Matt

29 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Royal Ordnance Factory, either side of Green Lane - part of it was the old 'Naismith's Engineering Works'. One side took up the space between Green Lane and the canal.

Yeah, I remember it - mum used to manage the Medical centre up the road

The music shop where my brothers live survives by being at the heart of the local musical community, they do PA hire and that means they know everyone. Plus they teach which helps bring more people into the community.

It helps they are really nice guys and happy to talk music forever!

They are doing deliveries during lockdown.

On 06/01/2021 at 11:19, Stub Mandrel said:

The music shop where my brothers live survives by being at the heart of the local musical community, they do PA hire and that means they know everyone. Plus they teach which helps bring more people into the community.

yes, this.

On 06/01/2021 at 11:19, Stub Mandrel said:

This is what bricks and mortar need to adapt to. PA hire/teaching is a great value add service - and gets people physically into the shop so sales people can go - "Hey, have you seen this piece of kit?". It's a mercenary shopper who will then go elsewhere to save a tenner if they have built a good relationship with the shop.

Thing is, most shops and distributors aren't so keen on that model. Like everybody, it's become more about shifting boxes. 

Apologies if covered, but Musik Productiv still list all the prices inc VAT, and a header on their website seems to suggest that UPS handle customs clearance, implying that effectively other than paperworks and slower shipping, nothing has really changed.  Is this true?

19 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

This is what bricks and mortar need to adapt to. PA hire/teaching is a great value add service - and gets people physically into the shop so sales people can go - "Hey, have you seen this piece of kit?". It's a mercenary shopper who will then go elsewhere to save a tenner if they have built a good relationship with the shop.

Thing is, most shops and distributors aren't so keen on that model. Like everybody, it's become more about shifting boxes. 

Even that isn't always enough.

Basschatters from Nottingham may recall "Wayne's Guitar Shack" which sold reasonable quality entry level instruments and associated musical equipment. At the back of the shop was a rehearsal room that doubled as the live room for a recording studio. Wayne also organised multi-band showcase gigs twice a month at various pubs, as well as doing general small PA hire. So not only would he sell you your first instrument(s), but he would provide somewhere for your band to rehearse, record your first demo and provide you with your first gigs, and PA hire for when you were ready to gig on your own. Unfortunately even he couldn't make this work and eventually went bust and disappeared.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Kev said:

Apologies if covered, but Musik Productiv still list all the prices inc VAT, and a header on their website seems to suggest that UPS handle customs clearance, implying that effectively other than paperworks and slower shipping, nothing has really changed.  Is this true?

True-ish, but you still need to pay the vat and a fee to UPS not to Music Productiv...  and their still not down the road from you and make you a coffee while you talk music and build a relationship...

5 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

True-ish, but you still need to pay the vat and a fee to UPS not to Music Productiv...  and their still not down the road from you and make you a coffee while you talk music and build a relationship...

Well this is it, surely the store can’t include VAT in the selling price, and then be invoiced the VAT at customs?? That’s what I don’t understand, surely it should be either ex vat, or inc vat and they pay importation costs through their contract with UPS?  I’ve asked them but no response yet, but right answer can’t be VAT is paid twice by the consumer.

Context on this is they have stock of something I want that UK dealers aren’t expecting a shipment of until next month, hence the dilemma about to whether to order or not.

Edited by Kev

39 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Even that isn't always enough.

Basschatters from Nottingham may recall "Wayne's Guitar Shack" which sold reasonable quality entry level instruments and associated musical equipment. At the back of the shop was a rehearsal room that doubled as the live room for a recording studio. Wayne also organised multi-band showcase gigs twice a month at various pubs, as well as doing general small PA hire. So not only would he sell you your first instrument(s), but he would provide somewhere for your band to rehearse, record your first demo and provide you with your first gigs, and PA hire for when you were ready to gig on your own. Unfortunately even he couldn't make this work and eventually went bust and disappeared.

The smart ones do this along with being savvy online.  I know a guy who is making this work (Henry at eltoromusic.co.uk) but he's still fairly new, having started up just before lockdown, so buy from him and help him though rather than shopping in Germany...  he'll still do his best to match price and ship next day...  he's even a Markbass dealer!

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Well this is it, surely the store can’t include VAT in the selling price, and then be invoiced the VAT at customs?? That’s what I don’t understand, surely it should be either ex vat, or inc vat and they pay importation costs through their contract with UPS?  I’ve asked them but no response yet, but right answer can’t be VAT is paid twice by the consumer.

they'd need to be vat registered in the UK to charge UK VAT, and even Thomann are not doing that

Edited by MoJoKe

8 minutes ago, Kev said:

On UPS Website:

"For goods sold into the UK valued above £135, the importer will remain responsible for paying the UK VAT. This can be paid by the importer via postponed VAT accounting or through the customs declaration."

The importer....  Thats you, that is!

Just now, MoJoKe said:

On UPS Website:

"For goods sold into the UK valued above £135, the importer will remain responsible for paying the UK VAT. This can be paid by the importer via postponed VAT accounting or through the customs declaration."

The importer....  Thats you, that is!

So what are every other shop other than Thomann that I can see playing at?  They are allowing you to pay the inc vat price, and a lot of them have been updated to contain notices about 1/1 onwards, so its not a matter of it not just being updated?

Just now, Kev said:

So what are every other shop other than Thomann that I can see playing at?  They are allowing you to pay the inc vat price, and a lot of them have been updated to contain notices about 1/1 onwards, so its not a matter of it not just being updated?

if you look, there are a bunch of non-music EU based sellers who are just crossing off the UK from their "shipping to" lists until this mess has been sorted out.  anyone else is feeling their way I suspect.