Why become a member? ×

Thomann prices?

danbowskill

3 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

People of course could just buy British and save the hassle!

Now you're just echoing the wise words of this particularly impressive-in-his-bass-playing mod...

On 02/01/2021 at 09:47, HazBeen said:

Bottom line, buying 2nd hand in UK from EU or in EU from UK is only interesting if you have a specific itch to be scratched. Generally it is not worth the hassle. 

• Like 1

The problem with goods now entering and leaving the UK - particularly from Ireland and NI, is why DFDS have recently started operating a new shipping route from Ireland direct to France. Previously some 150,000 trucks and lorries a year used the UK as a land bridge, between the Irish Sea ports and Dover. Whilst good news environmentally, reducing the number of lorries on the roads, it’s not good news economically. They’d probably have refuelled at UK garages, the drivers would certainly have bought food and drink during their journeys. That’s a loss to the local economies, and ultimately a loss to the UK treasury.

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

The problem with goods now entering and leaving the UK - particularly from Ireland and NI, is why DFDS have recently started operating a new shipping route from Ireland direct to France. Previously some 150,000 trucks and lorries a year used the UK as a land bridge, between the Irish Sea ports and Dover. Whilst good news environmentally, reducing the number of lorries on the roads, it’s not good news economically. They’d probably have refuelled at UK garages, the drivers would certainly have bought food and drink during their journeys. That’s a loss to the local economies, and ultimately a loss to the UK treasury.

Entirely fair.

"Whilst good news environmentally" is not a point to be dismissed lightly is it?

And the suggestion of buying goods produced locally (where we can) is both good for the local economy and good for the environment.

Nothing in this discussion is black and white.

35 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

People of course could just buy British and save the hassle!

Have you literally just by passed the whole of the discussion to write that? It's been explained why buying British isn't as easy as just buying British.

York Notes - Britain hasn't really got a wealth of raw materials and isn't a power house when it comes to manufacturing.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

Just now, Rich said:

OK, I'll re-word.

Topic is not about the pros & cons of Brexit. Please stick to the subject, i.e. trade.

Better? ;) 

Just wanted to be absolutely clear on the rules.... not these fuzzy guidelines that the government seem to....

:P

• Haha 1

This is quite interesting, apologies if it’s already been shared. I guess these businesses will have researched and realised it’s not economically viable to trade with the UK - at least not at the current time. 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/eu-firms-stop-uk-deliveries-due-to-brexit-6881640?fbclid=IwAR2CWZuBBPUJCn9rbbw7wITjTL424aSFsgwgxKRBW7RL4r_Hh86p64ID9Ns

Is it also affecting UK based businesses? If someone manufactures something that they want to sell to Italy, if the item’s value is less than a certain amount, do they have to register for VAT in Italy? 

Back on topic:

Just been messaging Thomann...  Chat below, but with agent name removed out of courtesy!

The price is plus VAT (yeah, we knew this).

The VAT and any other fees are paid to the courier before you can have the goods.

Thomann cannot tell you how much the handling fees may be.  that is down to the courier.

If it were DPD for example, they charge £5 plus VAT, so for a random product example:

Behringer Xenyx QX1832USB:        £155
Shipping:                                             £    8
Fee:                                                      £    5
Sub total:                                            £168
Vat:                                                      £  33.60
Total                                                    £201.60

What a faff...   I can buy from Gear4Music for £190.50, and only pay one bill.  And, what if it goes wrong?  Do I pay shipping/duty on sending it back, do I get my VAT back, do I have to re-pay the duty/carriage?  And do Thomann pay taxes in the UK...  probably not...

Other carriers are nowhere near as transparent with their charges as DPD...   I'll stick with UK retailers from now on thanks, unless it is utterly impossible to get anywhere here...

1600053111_Screenshot2021-01-05at15_58_17.thumb.jpg.37a1b8138f598043d2609fd55083ffda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And we’re back around the block yet again ..... no BC member asked for the hassle, but it is the result of decisions made and we will need to live with it.

Although I am happy Thomann is still available to me, with free shipping and no BS.

23 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

Back on topic:

Just been messaging Thomann...  Chat below, but with agent name removed out of courtesy!

The price is plus VAT (yeah, we knew this).

The VAT and any other fees are paid to the courier before you can have the goods.

Thomann cannot tell you how much the handling fees may be.  that is down to the courier.

If it were DPD for example, they charge £5 plus VAT, so for a random product example:

What a faff...   I can buy from Gear4Music for £190.50, and only pay one bill.  And, what if it goes wrong?  Do I pay shipping/duty on sending it back, do I get my VAT back, do I have to re-pay the duty/carriage?  And do Thomann pay taxes in the UK...  probably not...

Other carriers are nowhere near as transparent with their charges as DPD...   I'll stick with UK retailers from now on thanks, unless it is utterly impossible to get anywhere here...

1600053111_Screenshot2021-01-05at15_58_17.thumb.jpg.37a1b8138f598043d2609fd55083ffda.jpg

So the free shipping has stopped?

9 minutes ago, ambient said:

So the free shipping has stopped?

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Crumbs, we got back our borders. What more do you want? The moon on a stick?!

It'll be flown over by Spitfire. Meet Smudger Smith on top of the white cliffs of Dover and settle up for delivery then. 

Hoorah! 

Edited by Maude

36 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

Back on topic:

...Thomann cannot tell you how much the handling fees may be.  that is down to the courier.

VAT:                                                     £  33.60

Very neat thread summary. 

Not sure what I'm going to do with rest of my evening now that's all sorted? Maybe time to go play a Japanese bass made in Indonesia, bought from a store in London...😁

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Very neat thread summary. 

Not sure what I'm going to do with rest of my evening now that's all sorted? Maybe time to go play a Japanese bass made in Indonesia, bought from a store in London...😁

That will be shipped to a warehouse in Europe

56 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

for a random product example:

£138.27 on Amazon..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-XENYX-QX1832USB-Channel-Mixer/dp/B00C3ZR19S/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Behringer+Xenyx+QX1832USB&qid=1609867388&sr=8-1

The point being, it makes sense to shop around and compare prices. Personally I've always looked at Thomann but never actually used them, because they weren't the cheapest for the items I needed at the time. So their price increase/extra admin/extra fees are rendered irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1