Why become a member? ×

Thomann prices?

danbowskill

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

Not only seen it, my wife talked to some suppliers that said it wasn't worth the hassle of shipping to the UK, and that they couldn't get couries to transfer the stuff anyway for the same sort of prices that they used to.

Unfortunately budget couriers are paid by the mile, not the hour, so it doesn't make economic sense for them to risk the UK.

• Like 1

The deviants are in trouble now...

https://winterfetish.com/blogs/news/uk-vat

(edit - maybe NSFW...?)

- it says 

UK VAT

I just discovered that the UK imagines that my business will be willing to register with the UK and collect taxes for them. I can only chaulk that up to them being silly people. 

Due to this, as of December 20th I will no longer be able to take orders that have a ship to address in the UK.

Edited by EBS_freak

As that link is bicycle related, I've just seen that Brooks, the iconic British saddle manufacturer has put UK sales on hold for the minute while they work out their plan. 

The company was sold to an Italian one 20 or so years ago, but manufacturing has stayed in the UK, as that is what the rest of the world expects from Brooks, quality british made, leather saddles, and other goods. 

It seems logistically odd, but all their products are shipped to Italy, to then be distributed around the world. They now face this odd situation of shipping back to the UK, so have put it on hold. 

This has, for now, stopped UK cyclists buying the most iconic of UK cycle parts. 

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

The deviants are in trouble now...

https://winterfetish.com/blogs/news/uk-vat

(edit - maybe NSFW...?)

- it says 

UK VAT

I just discovered that the UK imagines that my business will be willing to register with the UK and collect taxes for them. I can only chaulk that up to them being silly people. 

Due to this, as of December 20th I will no longer be able to take orders that have a ship to address in the UK.

Again wrong. A non-UK business only has to register if it sources and delivers within the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

As that link is bicycle related, I've just seen that Brooks, the iconic British saddle manufacturer has put UK sales on hold for the minute while they work out their plan. 

The company was sold to an Italian one 20 or so years ago, but manufacturing has stayed in the UK, as that is what the rest of the world expects from Brooks, quality british made, leather saddles, and other goods. 

It seems logistically odd, but all their products are shipped to Italy, to then be distributed around the world. They now face this odd situation of shipping back to the UK, so have put it on hold. 

This has, for now, stopped UK cyclists buying the most iconic of UK cycle parts. 

Presumably it would be relatively easy for them to switch production to Italy or elsewhere in the EU?

1 minute ago, Steve Browning said:

Again wrong. A non-UK business only has to register if it sources and delivers within the UK.

Since there are several companies now coming up with this same problem, it would suggest that someone is giving them the wrong advice.

Edited by BigRedX

Just now, Steve Browning said:

Not wrong. We have to look at the net result.

Whether the vendor understands what is required or not, or whether they are misinformed or not, what we have here is that the UK can no longer buy from them. That's our loss... especially if other vendors start doing the same.

Just now, peteb said:

Presumably it would be relatively easy for them to switch production to Italy or elsewhere in the EU?

I would imagine, but that might impact on sales as buying Brooks means buying British, it's all part of the image. Similar to Fender moving all production out of America. 

I assume they're just trying to sort out the details and will then carry on as normal. 

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

Just now, BigRedX said:

Since there are several companies now coming up with problem, it would suggest that someone is giving them the wrong advice.

The bloke down the pub is the usual culprit!

To have an obligation to register in the UK, you have to make 'taxable supplies' where the place of supply is the UK. When goods remain within the UK there is a clear obligation. A UK business supplying out of the UK is now exporting and will not charge VAT. Conversely, a non-UK business exports to the UK and the recipient (whether a business or individual) is responsible for dealing with the VAT. I won't bring incoterms into account.

• Like 1