Why become a member? ×

Thomann prices?

danbowskill

Just now, joeystrange said:

Yeah, they’ll be showing the prices ex. VAT now. So, like Bunion said, add 20% plus handling fee from the carrier plus import duty (depending on how expensive a thing you’re buying).

Ahh.... Odd why Bax and others haven't

It does say + VAT and depending on what carrier is used (I know Royal Mail charge £11) they charge for processing the VAT payment so in  fact it’s works out more expensive than using a UK supplier.

It would seem that The Local market will be the first port of call for people in the uk going forward. 

• Like 1

This is what happened when I put a Fender product into my 'basket '. You'd also have to consider what happens regards warranty. Also if you wanted to, or had to return it, what the paper work would be.

The same combo from GAK is ÂŁ274 inc VAT and delivery. How it'll effect prices in the long run will be uncertain. I bought a Fender Rumble 210 cab from GAK several weeks back for ÂŁ275. Now at GAK they're out of stock but the price is ÂŁ319 (which I believe is Fender's RRP).

EDIT: just edited the post so the image doesn't need to be downloaded to view.

135002916_448057973235809_1905159107732179129_n.png

Edited by Marvin

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

This is what happened when I put a Fender product into my 'basket '. You'd also have to consider what happens regards warranty. Also if you wanted to, or had to return it, what the paper work would be.

The same combo from GAK is ÂŁ274 inc VAT and delivery. How it'll effect prices in the long run will be uncertain. I bought a Fender Rumble 210 cab from GAK several weeks back for ÂŁ275. Now at GAK they're out of stock but the price is ÂŁ319 (which I believe is Fender's RRP).

The returns part is something I hadn't considered. What happens if you bought an item, paid the UK vat, then had to exchange the item due to fault, or just return for a refund? I assume the VAT is not paid to Thomann so they won't be refunding it?Will you have to claim it back yourself, or do we not know yet? 

I believe the VAT is paid by the carrier to border control. 
There are a few different forms you can obtain depending on who shipped and paid the fees on your behalf 

At this moment I’m not sure if you claim direct or the carrier claims on your behalf but one thing will be sure I doubt you’ll get your handling fee back £9 - £11. 

I think most of this is being covered in another thread 

I’m also led to believe a replacement or credit note to an equal amount is not chargeable. 

This is mainly aimed at private sellers but there’s some good all round info in it 

Edited by Bunion

18 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Click here to see why nobody will want to be bothered getting involved with dealing with the UK - due to the overheads of the vendors having to do somebody else's job in collecting tax on behalf of the UK

Welcome to the new red-tape-less sunlit uplands,where the unicorns graze freely :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Yup - because the UK has a mass of manufacturing capability that rivals the rest of the world.

Missing the point big time.

No changes in tax when buying new - so yes, we will continue to buy new goods from the EU and EU manufacturers will want to continue to export to their most important export market, the UK. It would be seriously daft to think otherwise - can you imagine BMW or even Thomann saying "screw that we have a 10 minute customs form to fill in?". 

The key change is when buying used goods from private sellers - we now have UK VAT when we import these just as we do with new goods and just as we have always had with used goods from the rest of the world (USA, Jersey, Japan, India, China etc)

However, there may be a work around for the used goods issue too - we're just looking into that on the thread Bunion linked into above.

Edited by Al Krow

26 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:
39 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Yup - because the UK has a mass of manufacturing capability that rivals the rest of the world.

There are plenty of commercial outlets selling new products from around the world in the Uk market 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Missing the point big time.

No changes in tax when buying new - so yes, we will continue to buy new goods from the EU and EU manufacturers will want to continue to export to their most important export market, the UK. It would be seriously daft to think otherwise - can you imagine BMW or even Thomann saying "screw that we have a 10 minute customs form to fill in?". 

The key change is when buying used goods from private sellers - we now have UK VAT when we import these just as we do with new goods and just as we have always had with used goods from the rest of the world (USA, Jersey, Japan, India, China etc)

However, there may be a work around for the used goods issue too - we're just looking into that on the thread Bunion linked into above.

No I'm not - you are talking about large corporations there. Now look at it from the point of the small independents.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I hadn’t thought about that extra twist. That is perversely possibly good news as I can’t see Thomann wanting to lose all their UK Fender (etc) sales. I would imagine that they will get a proper UK trading presence like dv247 & others pretty quickly.

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

For now.

Come on, that's bordering on plain silly. 

We already trade more with non EU nations than with the EU. There are plenty of small retailers who are geared up to import from outside the UK eg Mark at Bass Direct will happily source you a 3 Leaf pedal or a Mesa amp. 

He's hardly a "large corporation"! 

Yes, I'm sure there will be an initial learning curve, but if we can learn a new song we can surely cope with a new form to fill out which is pretty much the same as what you do for a courier. YMMV

Edited by Al Krow