Why become a member? ×

BBC4 This evening

TheGreek

Just now, Japhet said:

You mean the 'Why sing 1 note when you can sing 276?' approach, as also favoured by Mariah Carey.

Whilst I don’t like the overdone vocals of Ms Carey / Dion etc, I think the majority of Whitney’s stuff ( certainly the first couple of albums anyway) didn’t suffer from this malaise. She was definitely in a league of her own  and IMHO was one of the great female vocalists, who died way too soon.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Whilst I don’t like the overdone vocals of Ms Carey / Dion etc, I think the majority of Whitney’s stuff ( certainly the first couple of albums anyway) didn’t suffer from this malaise. She was definitely in a league of her own  and IMHO was one of the great female vocalists, who died way too soon.

I think that 80’s production did not do Whitney any favours either .

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I much prefer Carey tbh, although I’m not a fan of the style generally. The only WH song I ever liked was Saving All My Love. Couldn’t stand anything else and really wasn’t much of a fan of her voice, never mind her singing style,  although I agree the production didn’t do her many favours. 

Been watching it during the QI adverts. My former girlfriend (of the time) was a big Whitney fan so I was bombarded with it whenever we were at her home.

Could have been just as bad for her as I only listened to Reggae during this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

To my ears Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and many others who came after are the vocal equivalent of Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai etc. showing the range of their chops without much feeling for the song. The women living next door bang out WH songs all the time in a Chinese water torture stylee.

Totally agree with this.

It's the, why sing one note well, when you can cram 14 notes in the same space, mentality. 

It really does nothing for me at all. 

16 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Totally agree with this.

It's the, why sing one note well, when you can cram 14 notes in the same space, mentality. 

It really does nothing for me at all. 

Likewise.   Unfortunately, it inspired an entire generation of wannabe warblers.     A few years ago we had to audition for a female singer for our Soul band - an experience I wouldn’t want to go through again........:sad: (luckily we found a good one :i-m_so_happy:)

I’m sure Aretha will show tonight how it should be done

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Heads up also for “Amazing Grace” at 8:30pm on BBC2 tonight - “never before seen” footage of Aretha Franklin recording “the greatest gospel album of all time” in 1972 - should be watchable 

Thanks, I knew it was coming but might have missed it. The recorder is set, just need to find a good time to watch it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Heads up also for “Amazing Grace” at 8:30pm on BBC2 tonight - “never before seen” footage of Aretha Franklin recording “the greatest gospel album of all time” in 1972 - should be watchable 

Well that was something special. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1