Why become a member? ×

Help!

uncle psychosis

Thanks guys. 

The Talman is cool as, thanks for that. 

Does a Stingray do a decent P bass impression? I'm sceptical to be honest. 

Mini-P-bass is a cool idea but I'm not convinced about the execution. 

Any thoughts on the various Mustang flavours out there? On paper the CV looks great but hard to find real world reviews. 

Mustangs are great. I’ve only played a MIJ one which cost me £650 s/h, but they have cool vintage styling, and very much in the P bass end of things sound wise. 

I’d expect the current Vinteras to be along the same lines. 

On the other hand the standard Mexican sort of Mustang looks less vintage, but the P / J pickups give it a wider range of tones and they shift secondhand for under £500. 

17 hours ago, Paul S said:

Harley Benton PB Shorty.  It is a damned fine bass.  For the money it is a miracle.  Sounds like a vintage Fender straight out of the box.  Seriously.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm

172084.webp

I second this as a choice. I was very impressed with mine. Don’t be mislead by the low price  (£79 + postage (before Jan 2021 though)).

If you’re anywhere near Derby you’re very welcome to come and take a go on mine.

22 hours ago, Maude said:

Ibanez Talman TMB30, and stick the £465 change in the your piggyback, or upgrade the pickups if so inclined. 

So much better than the price would suggest. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_tmb30_mgr_talman_short_scale.htm?glp=1

I just want to add, incase you were to go and buy one from Thomann, and I didn't realise at the time, the price is low from them now due to the new VAT rules. 20%VAT plus handling/import charges need to be added to that so probably cheaper from somewhere else. 

They're not as light as you'd expect either, it's a big body for a short scale. 

• 3 weeks later...

... I know how you all like resolution.
In the end after much indecision and going round in circles I decided I really wanted something with a slim neck, relatively light, could do precision sounds but wasn't a one trick pony, and ideally short or at least medium scale. 

I ummed and ahhed about just buying a CV Mustang but reports of patchy QC put me off and I think as a "one bass to do everything" guy it would be slightly limited.  At some point I may pick up a second hand one. Then I strongly considered something like a P special, but they're all 34" scale. The Sire options look cool but something about them doesn't float my boat.

Instead I kept coming back round to the Ibanez mezzo bass, specifically the five string one. The aesthetic grew on me, it ticks all my boxes, and I've not heard a bad word about them. So, job done. Just need to wait for stock to hit these shores now...