Why become a member? ×

Buffer

stewblack

Basically, if you run long cables or lots of pedals you increase capacitance and lose high end which obviously affects tone. A decent buffer will lower the impedance, making the signal stronger and restoring some of the high end.

They are handy to have if all your pedals are true bypass. Boss pedals have buffers so you can just put one or two of them in your chain, and it will do pretty much the same as a seperate buffer.

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 12:38, dannybuoy said:

You don’t need one if you have an active bass, or a pedal with a buffered bypass early on in the signal path. It’s likely that you already have at least one in your chain already!

This is an interesting post - and one that could run and run!

I never thought I needed any kind of buffer. I've always had active Basses, and used a BOSS OC-2 early on in my effects chain..

An opportunity came up recently to acquire a pre loved JHS Pedals "Little Black Buffer" for around £40. Worth a punt. And it's made a noticeable difference to my tone; with a brighter top end - certainly. It's the very last pedal > before going into the amp.

I'm now looking to upgrade my tuner to the Polytune 3, to have a buffer at the front end as well.

• Like 1