Why become a member? ×

ESP surveyor 87 series

AndyTravis

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Just spotted these, think they’ve been about for a bit.

Nice P/J with Duncan vintage pickups.

Anyone seen one out in the wild? I like the white one.

Seem about £800.

weird price point I suppose.

3B390A7E-7548-4C2E-9ECF-8961CE4F59B7.jpeg

D792B1D9-9ABF-43B7-9418-480E3F2DC20B.jpeg

I think, If you can find one a Japanese 400 series would prob be cheaper. Not that there's many about. 
Still collecting PJs? 

I was interested in the black one and did some digging. Most feedback I found is positive.

For example: 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSURVEYOR87B--esp-ltd-surveyor-87-black

I also found this detailed review on a German website. There are some sound files on the second page (2/3). 

ESP LTD Surveyor ’87 Test :: Bonedo

Main issue that got mentioned: heavy weight. 

My main issue is the name: "surveyor". I know it is silly but I cannot see myself buying a bass with such a name. Sad but true 😞

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I was interested in the black one and did some digging. Most feedback I found is positive.

For example: 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSURVEYOR87B--esp-ltd-surveyor-87-black

I also found this detailed review on a German website. There are some sound files on the second page (2/3). 

ESP LTD Surveyor ’87 Test :: Bonedo

My main issue is the name: "surveyor". I know it is silly but I cannot see myself buying a bass with such a name. Sad but true 😞

Cheers for this. Seems really positive, can’t deal with heavy though.

19 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Aye, I had a Surveyor 415 a few years ago, and as much as it was a well made and good sounding bass, it weighed an absolutely ridiculous amount and that was why I eventually moved it on.

The 'surveyor' name doesn't bother me too much...

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

P/J with Duncan

...but that surfaced a few bad memories! 😉 ..psyche

Seriously, though, nope - never seen one out and about, but I agree the white one does look nice in the pictures! If they did the AP-5 in white with black hardware, then I'd probably be in danger of buying one of those.

5 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Aye, I had a Surveyor 415 a few years ago, and as much as it was a well made and good sounding bass, it weighed an absolutely ridiculous amount and that was why I eventually moved it on.

The 'surveyor' name doesn't bother me too much...

...but that surfaced a few bad memories! 😉 ..psyche

Seriously, though, nope - never seen one out and about, but I agree the white one does look nice in the pictures! If they did the AP-5 in white with black hardware, then I'd probably be in danger of buying one of those.

What just wrecked the Mic?

I really loved the LTD TS-4 I ordered in for a customer when I worked in a shop. Basically the same bass, but relic white with EMG’s.

Spotted this too - they do it in black now, but it’s pleasant enough...

9277970F-A537-471E-8C6C-D88636E5E53D.png

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

What just wrecked the Mic?

I really loved the LTD TS-4 I ordered in for a customer when I worked in a shop. Basically the same bass, but relic white with EMG’s.

Spotted this too - they do it in black now, but it’s pleasant enough...

9277970F-A537-471E-8C6C-D88636E5E53D.png

That green is nice but a bit pimp for my tastes! 🙂 

It's a shame they trimmed the EII line back so much - the two models that are left really don't appeal to me at all, but some of the ones they scrapped really did.

Much like the 'surveyor', I still wonder how much of the problem is the 'EII' brand name - when I got my EII ST-2 skinny guitar I paid less than half the RRP because the shop just couldn't shift it - it was the price of an ESP but didn't say ESP on the headstock, so they had to keep reducing it. They tried a couple and moved the 'reindeer blue' one for a profit fairly quickly because it was pretty, but the trans-black just sat there gathering dust until it was so cheap I couldn't resist nabbing it - they said pretty much at cost. Never saw another EII in there - just available for special order. Anyway, I digress...!

• 7 months later...

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

£919.

Not in “impulse buy” territory 

42 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

£500, would’ve had it.

Thomann lists it at £858. I think that's not too bad. The bass comes with the SD Vintage P and J pickups, a Gotoh bridge, and an ebony FB. Ok, the tuners seem to be a bit flimsy (according to some reviews I've read) but overall, not too bad for that price. 

3 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Thomann lists it at £858. I think that's not too bad. The bass comes with the SD Vintage P and J pickups, a Gotoh bridge, and an ebony FB. Ok, the tuners seem to be a bit flimsy (according to some reviews I've read) but overall, not too bad for that price. 

If I see a used one in a couple of years, I could be tempted.

Id like to play one first really too.

Wish I’d got the TS-4 I had when I worked in an esp dealer.

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Hahah - nor am I.

are you going for it?!

I am tempted but realistically not this year. I have the EBMM TC sig basses arriving on Monday, so I really should not even bother thinking about it. Instead, I should sell one of my Spector Fortes to finance the TC. 

GAS really is a disease 😉 

So, maybe early next year. Let's see what NAMM has to offer. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...