Why become a member? ×

Alternative practice amp / sound source

Freddy4strings

Apologies, I'm new to the site today and already have a second technical question for you all. As my Fender Rumble 15 Amp has just given up the ghost, (i.e. no power & no sound), and my address has moved into tier 4 lockdown, (i.e. can't get the amp to my local shop for repair under warranty straight away), do you think the Vox amPhones Bass Active Bass Guitar Headphones are a good, (albeit expensive), alternative, so I can continue my learning ?.  Also can I use a vox-amplug-2-headphone-amp-bass whilst using these headphones ?. That plug in amp looks useful to me for learning rhythm patterns. I know that a replacement Rumble amp would be cheaper, but I don't want to get one delivered at the mo, in case the couriers have been playing football with it. Thanks guys.

Hi and welcome.

Either of those solutions would do the job but as you say it's at a price. If all you want is something to use until your amp is fixed you could do for half the price of either solution.

A dedicated headphone amp and a pair of headphones or probably better still a small 2 channel mixer an a set of phones. This solution would allow you to plug your bass in 1 channel and a music source, (phone, mp3 player, cd player etc.), in the other channel and play along.

The Yamaha Sessioncake is the perfect solution. They were being sold off for £10 at a retailer recently, I got 2, but the deal is done. They are still good value at £20 - 30 and there's 1 on ebay you might get for £20 including postage. Add a set of phones and you're off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Mixing-Headphone-Amplifier-SESSIONCAKE-SC-01-Guitar-Bass-Aux-Mixing-/224295290620?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I'm sure there will be some more knowledgeable members along in a minute.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

I would agree with the BassBunny above. The little Yamaha Sessioncakes are excellent bits of kit. I have the red one and it's really good, easy to use and the sound quality is superb. Plug in some headphones and your phone and off you go - you can even record straight to your phone if you want to.....

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

These little "toasters" are very good value for money and you can get one by Joyo U.K. directly :

https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/MA-10B-Bass-Guitar-Amplifier

You can find them, strangely, cheaper by Thomann, but too often out of stock, and for the moment a nightmare to get in the U.K.

They include everything needed for home practice. And it's (almost) the only one working also on batteries with a 5 inches "full range" speaker and a 10 Watts output power. Got one in the lounge to plug my, funnily, high end basses and it's making the job very well.

Couriers don't always play football with parcels, they play hockey in winter. 😂

Edited by Hellzero
Auxiliary mode forgotten
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I will take a look at some of the alternatives you've mentioned for a quick fix. I've checked the fuse in the plug but am not going to attempt taking the back off the amp in case it invalidates the warranty. I've emailed my local shop and am waiting for their repair workshop to get back to me. (Re initial phone call to shop, they believe they can fix or replace the amp under warranty). Thanks again.