Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Pod Go

uk_lefty

Apologies if this has been covered before. I'd like some pros and cons of the Line 6 Pod Go currently out as I've seen some January discounts.

I'm looking to consolidate and modernize gear where I can. In my new three piece I may need more effects than I currently use in my rock covers 4 piece. I've got a Boss GT10B that does everything I could ask for and more though where it lacks is 80s synth tones and to thicken out sound under a guitar solo, it's a bit basic on those fronts. I also may need to play guitar on a few songs and I have a zoom G7.1ut at the mo but I have rarely touched it tbh and I bought it as a toy for home use never expecting to take on guitar in a live band. 

Any views welcome, the line 6 stuff looks great but there's so many options I wouldn't know where to start. I'm also very aware my Boss is a great piece of kit and it won't go quietly. 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I've got a Boss GT10B that does everything I could ask for and more though where it lacks is 80s synth tones and to thicken out sound under a guitar solo, it's a bit basic on those fronts.

80s synth tones - Line 6 will struggle to deliver this. You're better off with a quality dedicated synth pedal (e.g. Future Impact or Source Audio C4)

Thicken out the sound under a guitar solo - do you mean something like the Fishman Fission? Helix can do this pretty well, but by making use of its parallel routing. I don't think Pod Go can do parallel i.e. all fx are in series and I suspect you would end up with a "mush".

So based on that, I'd say stick with your GT10B.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

80s synth tones - Line 6 will struggle to deliver this. You're better off with a quality dedicated synth pedal (e.g. Future Impact or Source Audio C4)

Thicken out the sound under a guitar solo - do you mean something like the Fishman Fission? Helix can do this pretty well, but by making use of its parallel routing. I don't think Pod Go can do parallel i.e. all fx are in series and I suspect you would end up with a "mush".

So based on that, I'd say stick with your GT10B.

Thanks. I have thought of buying a synth pedal to loop in to the Boss. It just could all get a bit complicated, especially if I then need to add a switch and a Pog or something to make a chord... The boss does some harmonisers and can add a power chord but only certain keys and it doesn't sound great tbh. 

I'm obsessed with 80s synth sounds and I have found that by putting my mxr bass octave deluxe before the hx stomp and then using signal splitting drive/fuzz, envelope, chorus i have had amazing success making very musical moog style synth sounds and beyond. The pod go seems more guitar centred to me considering the blocks that are fixed but I think the hx stomp is the absolute best bass related tool imaginable so I suggest you look at that. 

• Thanks 1