Why become a member? ×

New Spector (Korea) models for 2021

cetera

13 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, I still think they should have used a different name instead of Dimension. It always makes me think of this one. Sorry, I just cannot "unthink" it 😉

And you won't now either 😁

dimension-web-award_II.thumb.jpg.f884b05d38c3079667ab43d48df7f8e9.jpg

To be fair, the Fender dimension is such a forgettable bass I don't think it will be a problem ;)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, looks like Spector and Dingwall will go head-to-head indeed. Cool. Will be interesting to see how many people, current Spector bass owners or not, will go for the new Dimension instead of the already established Combustion or NG.  

BTW, I still think they should have used a different name instead of Dimension. It always makes me think of this one. Sorry, I just cannot "unthink" it 😉

And you won't now either 😁

dimension-web-award_II.thumb.jpg.f884b05d38c3079667ab43d48df7f8e9.jpg

HA!  I knew I recognised it as a model name.

Whilst I don't like the design, the fact that there is another bass in that price bracket for people to buy is good.  In certain genres such as prog and tech metal (in which I am involved), I am SO tired of seeing those Dingwall basses and hearing that tone, everyone is beginning to look and sound the same.  I'm hoping that next time we're out gigging again Ill see plenty of the Ibanez headless offerings and perhaps some Spectors now to add variety that is desperately needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

Whilst I don't like the design, the fact that there is another bass in that price bracket for people to buy is good.  In certain genres such as prog and tech metal (in which I am involved), I am SO tired of seeing those Dingwall basses and hearing that tone, everyone is beginning to look and sound the same.  I'm hoping that next time we're out gigging again Ill see plenty of the Ibanez headless offerings and perhaps some Spectors now to add variety that is desperately needed.

Just need someone else to offer a different tone to the endless Darkglass players now..... lol! Those pedals, imho, are the reason so many prog/tech metal bassist have the same tone... no matter what bass they play!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

Agree, the Nolly tone was cool for some time but now it is getting a bit annoying (just too many having that tone). Maybe it is indeed time for the Spector Dimension and the Kev tone 😉 

4 minutes ago, cetera said:

Just need someone else to offer a different tone to the endless Darkglass players now..... lol! Those pedals, imho, are the reason so many prog/tech metal bassist have the same tone... no matter what bass they play!

The Cetera tone maybe? 😉

5 minutes ago, cetera said:

Now then, I didn’t say that 😂 I am a Darkglass user and have been since before they were cool 😉 but I would actually say in my experience they are very sensitive to what goes into them, if you use them properly.  But most just set it to that over saturated clank tone and leave it at that.  Even the B3K is capable of a LOT when you spend enough time with it.  The Warwick/Darkglass tone is very different in characteristics than the Dingwall/Darkglass and emulations thereof.  

2 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Agree, the Nolly tone was cool for some time but now it is getting a bit annoying (just too many having that tone). Maybe it is indeed time for the Spector Dimension and the Kev tone 😉 

Ha! Perhaps if it is successful Spector will consider doing more with the design etc, but as it’s stands it’s a firm No from me.  I do want to play one though, and see if that first position is as far away as it looks (and this is coming from a Thumb bass player!)

7 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

The Cetera tone maybe? 😉

Exactly! Except I don't play prog/tech metal.... lol! ;)

I actually had the B3K and B7K before Darkglass became 'the norm' and they were good & versatile.... but I prefer a cleaner boost these days. A slight growl/grind is imho so much more preferable to a hugely compressed, mid-sucking, hugely overdriven clank... especially in a band mix.

ANYWAY.... back on subject.... I'm looking forward to these new Spector Korean models and already have an Ethos 4 in 'interstellar' on order! Due end of July I believe...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

Exactly! Except I don't play prog/tech metal.... lol! ;)

I actually had the B3K and B7K before Darkglass became 'the norm' and they were good & versatile.... but I prefer a cleaner boost these days. A slight growl/grind is imho so much more preferable to a hugely compressed, mid-sucking, hugely overdriven clank... especially in a band mix.

ANYWAY.... back on subject.... I'm looking forward to these new Spector Korean models and already have an Ethos 4 in 'interstellar' on order! Due end of July I believe...

Not wanting to derail the thread but what do you use for the slight growl/grind as I’m also after that?

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

2 new Korean made models, neither of which interest me. They’ve taken away 2 other models - Spectorcore and Performer no longer listed on website.

Just looked at the Spector 2021 Price List Catalog. There is indeed no Spectarcore but the Performer is still there in the following finishes: solid black, gloss metallic blue gloss, metallic red gloss, and solid white gloss.

That bass is comfortably the best sounding off the bunch for me!  I really like the character of it.

I honestly found the multi scale to be the worst in the comparison riffs, closely followed by the poplar euro.  Super glassy and sterile in comparison, very scooped sounding.  Which is particularly odd for the bart loaded one, as they're literally the opposite of that normally, if anything.

What's with separate volume controls on these?

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

That bass is comfortably the best sounding off the bunch for me!  I really like the character of it.

I honestly found the multi scale to be the worst in the comparison riffs, closely followed by the poplar euro.  Super glassy and sterile in comparison, very scooped sounding.  Which is particularly odd for the bart loaded one, as they're literally the opposite of that normally, if anything.

What's with separate volume controls on these?

For me it is the NS-2 but that's, admittedly, mostly based on looks (and Alice in Chains) as my headphones don't really allow me to hear huge differences. 

• 3 months later...

Has anybody got/played a Dimension?

Plenty of talk on online of the low volume B and G strings.  Apparently sitting outside the range of the pickup due to the offset pickups.

Looks obvious in the photos really.

Comments seem to be mainly around the low B on the 5'er - anyone tried a 4 String?

NSDM4HAUNT_main.png

NSDM5SFB_main.png

Magnetic sheet representation on a 5'er.

182815984_10224703724050604_5830285135341967443_n.jpg

Edited by bagsieblue

It was an issue on the early releases of the Dimension 5. It has been addressed now and new production has it sorted. Anyone with an issue from the 1st batch can get a replacement/swap.

1 minute ago, cetera said:

It was an issue on the early releases of the Dimension 5. It has been addressed now and new production has it sorted. Anyone with an issue from the 1st batch can get a replacement/swap.

Only an issue on the 5's?

Do you know what the fix is?

58 minutes ago, cetera said:

How have they fixed that? Different pickup models?

1 hour ago, bagsieblue said:

Only an issue on the 5's?

I believe so. 

16 minutes ago, Kev said:

How have they fixed that? Different pickup models?

Not sure, I think it may be a combination of slightly wider pickups and tighter string spacing. Funny thing is, it doesn't appear to have affected every bass - may just have been a duff pickup batch in that first run?

• Like 1

Just now, cetera said:

I believe so. 

Not sure, I think it may be a combination of slightly wider pickups and tighter string spacing. Funny thing is, it doesn't appear to have affected every bass - may just have been a duff pickup batch in that first run?

Yeah - I saw some talk on TB of the narrowing the spacing fix to get nearer to the pickup magnets, but also that left the feel of the neck feeling weird given the neck profile's relationship to the string spacing.

If this is the case then surely that's just a quick fix.

There are a few comments that people didn't notice how pronounced it was until rehearsing  / playing live and not as noticeable at home volume levels.  Rehearing and gig activity is down as we all know so maybe not all aware and reported.

Shame - as I was quite interested.

I'm not comfortable it was just a duff pickup batch in the first run.

Possibly a batch were CNC'ed incorrectly and routed in slightly the wrong place?, but having said that, photos I've seen of those reported with this problem look to have the pickups in the same location as all the other photos online of the stock images etc.

Thats more speculation though of course.

Its a design /QC issue to me - hopefully with a full fix on the way.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bagsieblue said:

....and here is one guys replacement (note replacement!), disappointing but unsurprisingly the same issue.

Oh, I thought this was resolved?? That's crazy different 😐