Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge

lurksalot

I'm in!

There once was an elephant that was mechanical.  Someone mistook it for real, but he's like the guitars in this track!

Bass & hook played on the Roli Seaboard.
Drums courtesy of Apple Drummer.
Guitars made of random chopped up & processed guitar sounds taken from Apple Loops.

• Like 5

I've done a little one...

It's a bit funky, a bit cheeky (or puerile for those of a non-Carry On persuasion!) and for a change was started by a bluesy keyboard groove, with bass added later - DI output of Wal direct into Ableton, other output via Future Impact, Bass Whammy and Fwonk Beta pedals into another track. Guitar is a Strat through my bass rig and Bias FX, drums programmed or loops in EZ Drummer...

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, tommorichards said:

Can someone clue me in as to the details of this composition challenge?

Certainly, old chum. It's not really that much more complicated than the few explanatory  lines of the very first post in this topic, but, to elaborate just the same...
The general idea is to find inspiration from the picture, which has been chosen by the previous 'winner' (that's to say: got the most votes, although, everyone is a 'winner', really ;) ... ). The composition can be in any genre, played with any instruments, real or virtual (so not just bass, although it can be..!). Recorded by any means available, however modest, by yourself (although backing vocals, 'guest' band members, passing refuse truck etc... are tolerated...). The composition must be in the current month, and the resulting file would normally be posted on Soundcloud (it's free, for modest use of the sort...), before the closing date, which is normally about a week before end of month. Once closed, a 'Voting' topic is posted, inviting BassChatters to vote for their favourite(s), and at month's end, a winner is declared.
Not much more to add. The absolute quality of playing the production quality, the instruments used... None of that is of great matter, as the 'judging' is based on the aptness of the music to the picture (at least in theory, although the criteria behind the voting is up to the voters, in truth...).
Maybe the simplest would be for you to have a look at the picture, see what comes to mind, musically, and record something..? Offer it up and see what comes of it. What's the worst that can happen, eh..? It won't be any worse than what Lenny bungs up every month, and my own are often enough complete and utter 'flops', so you'll be in excellent company. Give it a go, lad. You know it makes sense. :friends:

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Certainly, old chum. It's not really that much more complicated than the few explanatory  lines of the very first post in this topic, but, to elaborate just the same...
The general idea is to find inspiration from the picture, which has been chosen by the previous 'winner' (that's to say: got the most votes, although, everyone is a 'winner', really ;) ... ). The composition can be in any genre, played with any instruments, real or virtual (so not just bass, although it can be..!). Recorded by any means available, however modest, by yourself (although backing vocals, 'guest' band members, passing refuse truck etc... are tolerated...). The composition must be in the current month, and the resulting file would normally be posted on Soundcloud (it's free, for modest use of the sort...), before the closing date, which is normally about a week before end of month. Once closed, a 'Voting' topic is posted, inviting BassChatters to vote for their favourite(s), and at month's end, a winner is declared.
Not much more to add. The absolute quality of playing the production quality, the instruments used... None of that is of great matter, as the 'judging' is based on the aptness of the music to the picture (at least in theory, although the criteria behind the voting is up to the voters, in truth...).
Maybe the simplest would be for you to have a look at the picture, see what comes to mind, musically, and record something..? Offer it up and see what comes of it. What's the worst that can happen, eh..? It won't be any worse than what Lenny bungs up every month, and my own are often enough complete and utter 'flops', so you'll be in excellent company. Give it a go, lad. You know it makes sense. :friends:

Thanks Dad. I wasnt sure if it had to be bass specific or allowed anything. I may do. Theres a few weeks left of the month.

13 minutes ago, tommorichards said:

Thanks Dad. I wasnt sure if it had to be bass specific or allowed anything. I may do. Theres a few weeks left of the month.

Indeed; I've hardly started, myself. Be aware that 'anything' does not include bagpipes, naturally. -_- (It's a running gag. There's not much really serious about this Challenge; it's just for fun...)

On 08/01/2021 at 01:33, tommorichards said:

FWIW it doesn't have to have bass in it at all.  Having said that I've never come close to winning so don't take my advice.

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

FWIW it doesn't have to have bass in it at all.  Having said that I've never come close to winning so don't take my advice.

It might seem odd but I’ve never seen it noted anywhere that it actually has to be musical at all 😂

Being an inclusive type, I always thought a poem or short story would qualify , spoken and recorded of course , but they would of course be composed.

and then , just maybe,  one could put a bangin’ donk on it 😎

• Haha 1

Here is my contribution to the January 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Doctor J..!
Inspired by opposites, this month, with the thought that this little fellow is having a great time, and feeling pretty lightweight. That's what I've wanted to portray, in simple terms; just the sheer glee of the falling drops.
Sparse..? Yes; one guitar, two harps (all virtual...). Mixed in Reaper (what else..?), with no treatment whatever. Just a plain, simple mix.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the January 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Doctor J..!
Inspired by opposites, this month, with the thought that this little fellow is having a great time, and feeling pretty lightweight. That's what I've wanted to portray, in simple terms; just the sheer glee of the falling drops.
Sparse..? Yes; one guitar, two harps (all virtual...). Mixed in Reaper (what else..?), with no treatment whatever. Just a plain, simple mix.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Sweet.... That's set me up for the day!😎

• Like 1

Yeah, that didn't turn out anything like I thought it would. As we all know, mechanical elephants look sweet and cutesy-poo but will turn on us some day. Fact.

The technical stuff: Pearl Export drums recorded by Thomann's cheapest mics into a Behringer preamp. Hamer bass and Eggle guitar (tuned to D, very fancy) directly into an Avid Eleven. Demented circus oompa piano bit courtesy of Reason. Mixed in ProTools.

• Like 5

Here it is.  I don't quite know how to describe it - Neo Classical rock I suppose.  I started this off slow and lumbering, but in hindsight I'd have made it a bit quicker.  

Although its all about fakeness, everything is real instruments apart from the drums.  Drums are MT Power.  Guitar is a MIM Telecaster 'cos its what was near, and I don't have anything with 7 strings and a pointy headstock.  Bass is a Squire CV Precision.  Guitars and bass are through Amplitube.  All recorded in Cubase LE, erm, Elephants.

Edited by Nicko
  • Like 4

Good evening, composition chums, here's my first attempt of the year. I've taken on board some of the earlier comments in the thread, namely that the tune doesn't have to have any bass or be musical at all. Sat there staring at this fake elephant for far too long without any inspiration so just chucked some randomness at a single chord and hoped for the best. Instruments included on this catastrophe include an unbranded electric guitar with only three strings, a persian setar, my trusty electric saz and drums fashioned from large, upturned glue tubs. Add a smidge of some metal objects for cymbals, an elephant sample and a vocal that leaves a lot to be desired and you have my usual unmethodical approach to this monthly musical mash-up. All recorded in Wavepad and Audacity for that raw (i.e. cheap) feel!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Basschat composition challenge January 2021, as promised yesterday!
Piece inspired by this month's photo.
Any fans of Janek Gwizdala will be familiar with his Baby Elephant sound, which is what I'm using here, played on my new Mustang bass, with half-round strings, it's first competition outing.
The usual poorly played drums and a couple of guitar tracks on the Eggle (Berlin Pro)and that's about it.
Mostly in a slow 12/8 but slips into a bit of 13/8 near the end (I just can't help making things bloody difficult for myself!) and a bar of 13+1/4 / 8 just on the drums where I got a bit confused.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I am going to post it up , but I'm still hopeful of some lyrics and a bit of guitar to add from a couple of guests , but I'll have to wait and see about that 

Your buddy Ryan Adams? 

No, I didn't understand it either 🙂

• Haha 1