Why become a member? ×

Power amp for pedalboard?

danpb

All of my tone these days is from my drive pedals into a HX stomp to from of house. I do still like to have a cab running on stage. As monitoring is nearly always poor. 

A powered FRFR is not an option due to A) budget and B) we're often sharing backline so may be my own cab, other shows it may be a headliners cab.

I'd love to cut down on the gear I carry and just need my pedalboard.

I looked into the seymour duncan powerstage 200 as a board mounted solution but I fear 200 watts (just over 100 into my 8 ohm cab) just won't be enough to keep up with a hard hitting drummer and guitarist, sometimes in venues where only vocals are FOH. The 700 watt version seems ideal but isn't pedalboard mountable really. The quilter bass blocks I've seen on pedalboards also seem too big for my pedaltrain junior plus always seem 'bodged'. 

I'd prefer to not have to swap my pedalboard.

Any other options I've missed that are board mountable and have enough output?  

Demeter Minnie 800D

But - if you are taking your own cab then having that lift you may as well have a small amp of your choice and sufficient power should you not? Or it can be plopped on the backline cab.

How much pedal tap dancing do you do?

If it’s set and forget pop everything in a wheeled rackmount case like Gator do for ease of transport and then mostly any amp is useable, even something like a QSC power amp.

Thays a 1 drag/carry solution

Ashdown Ant seems to fit your bill, but for the power requirements. I'm just throwing this in here just in case anyone searches the site for a pedalboard amp. I don't own one, but I definitely want one :)

Totally anecdotally, I was able to keep up with a savage drummer with 150W, but I did have a 15" cone behind me. You could replace your cab, but then you're trying to cut down on gear. Guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch :(

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/the-ant

THEANT5_1500x.png?v=1576844606

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I ended up getting a baby sumo. I got around the lack of EQ by adding 2 amps in the helix where the signal splits for cab/no cab giving me a consistent EQ to FOH and an adjustable one for the cab or room.

6 hours ago, danpb said:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I ended up getting a baby sumo. I got around the lack of EQ by adding 2 amps in the helix where the signal splits for cab/no cab giving me a consistent EQ to FOH and an adjustable one for the cab or room.

How are you finding this? I'm currently evaluating my bass amplification/monitoring options and have similar requirements to you (always have PA / on IEMs). 

I'm thinking I could run a Trace Elliot Transit B Preamp straight into the Baby Sumo. I'm also on a minimalism kick/equipment purge so this could be a satisfying solution. 

6 minutes ago, Light Grenade said:

How are you finding this? I'm currently evaluating my bass amplification/monitoring options and have similar requirements to you (always have PA / on IEMs). 

I'm thinking I could run a Trace Elliot Transit B Preamp straight into the Baby Sumo. I'm also on a minimalism kick/equipment purge so this could be a satisfying solution. 

No proper rehearsals or gigs yet obviously but I got the chance to turn up in the garage yesterday and it was plenty loud enough into an 8 ohm orange 410.

The sumo is transparent and didnt colour the tone from the helix. Pretty faithful to the cab sim signal from the DI to my monitors. 

• Like 1