Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH1000....would you?

Silky999

I have the opportunity to get one for less than £250 as I’m looking for something with a bit more oomph in preparation for our vaccinated release. I would replace either a Warwick Protube IV or TC BH500 on a wife led one in, one out......So;

1. Should I get it?

2. If yes, which amp should it replace?

I have no experience of Hartke as a sound or brand but seems a lot of bang for buck but is it?

I had one for a while and it always kept up with any band I played with. The EQ is based on the classic ‘fender’ style, so fully flat is (if memory serves) bass straight up, mids on full, and treble cut a little bit, so if you’re ok with that then it’s a no-brainer for that price!

It's a very good amp with indeed a Fender-like EQ, so settings interacting with each other in permanence. I sent mine back only because of the plane turbine fanning system (3 fans !!!), which is a big problem at low volume when playing in an acoustic band or for recording. If it's going to be a gig only amp, then go on, it's a terrific one. That said a Warwick LWA 1000 has the same output power, is ultra lightweight, has two completely independent channels and is dead silent for the same price...

One fresh air in fan and two heated air out fans for the Hartke LH1000 :

lh1000-jpg.2066265

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling

Great amps. I’ve gigged them a lot in the past and found that they make a superb power amplifier for running other gear like effects and preamps in to. 

I did upgrade the valve in mine too. Not that you need to, mostly but I had a really nice set of premium ECC83’s spare.

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

Immensely powerful, but the eq is awful. Completely woeful. I couldn't get a decent sound out of it because of that simple fact.

If you are using a decent preamp infront of it then it will project it well enough - that’s mainly how I used it

5 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

In that case, you’d be better off just buying a power amp, that’s what I ended up doing.

No disagreement there from me - but I got my LH1000 for about £150 second hand with a rackmount case, and I could tickle a little out the EQ for me - bargain overall

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

No disagreement there from me - but I got my LH1000 for about £150 second hand with a rackmount case, and I could tickle a little out the EQ for me - bargain overall

If I double my budget I can get a a new Peavey Headliner 1000 or a used GK MB 800. Are either of those worth the extra money over the LH1000? I don’t tend to EQ much on the amp as I prefer to run the amp EQ flat and tone shape with the bass and pedals

5 minutes ago, Silky999 said:

If I double my budget I can get a a new Peavey Headliner 1000 or a used GK MB 800. Are either of those worth the extra money over the LH1000? I don’t tend to EQ much on the amp as I prefer to run the amp EQ flat and tone shape with the bass and pedals

The LH 1000 might not be massively flexible but the tones it can do are bloody nice! I had a LH500 and i never ran out of tone for classic rock.

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I was going to say that £250 seemed to be higher than I had seen them go for. 

On 29/12/2020 at 22:46, paul_5 said:

I had one for a while and it always kept up with any band I played with. The EQ is based on the classic ‘fender’ style, so fully flat is (if memory serves) bass straight up, mids on full, and treble cut a little bit, so if you’re ok with that then it’s a no-brainer for that price!

I met Larry Hartke back in 2013 in NYC; he told me the bass at 9 o'clock, mid on full and treble fully off was as close as straight frequency response you could get. I really liked the amp; simple to use and well sounding. No bells and whistles what so ever...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bassmayhem said:

I met Larry Hartke back in 2013 in NYC; he told me the bass at 9 o'clock, mid on full and treble fully off was as close as straight frequency response you could get. I really liked the amp; simple to use and well sounding. No bells and whistles what so ever...

That corresponds to a 3-10-0 - happily corrected, I ran my treble at about 2/3 - but that’s just me

I’m looking for something that is rock solid, on a budget, able to manage most gigs and doesn’t need loads of fiddling to get my sound. It sounds like the LH1000 is the way forward. 
So to clarify, the EQ cut as opposed to cut/boost?

Edited by Silky999

1 minute ago, Silky999 said:

I’m looking for something that is rock solid, on a budget, able to manage most gigs and doesn’t need loads of fiddling to get my sound. It sounds like the LH1000 is the way forward. 

An LH500 is plenty loud enough for loud gigs if you wanted to save some money!

Provided you're happy with the Fender style tone stack, I'd go for it. I run an LH500 (tone 2/10/0) and using a very wide range of cabs have never questioned the basic tone or even come close to running out of headroom in live situation.  I think it does sound better if you run a higher output bass into the passive input though - it' won't distort but it does seem to sparkle a bit more. The limiter is decent but the bright switch sounds horrible IMO. If you're looking for a lot of shaping options, then it may not be for you but a s a basic and very loud rock workhorse I rate it.

• Like 2

I’ve seen a LH1000 that comes with a Hydrive 410 cab for a couple hundred £ more. I have TC BC410, BC210 and BC212 cabs plus 115 and 210 hand built with some Emminence drivers. Is the Hydrive worth the extra money or would a combination of what I have work just as well?

Edited by Silky999