Why become a member? ×

Modern P/J Pickup Recommendation

Davebassics

Ive come full circle. Back in my youth I was really into my hifi Marcus Miller tone. I has a jazz bass fitted with DiMarzio Ultra J pickups and a Sadowsky preamp. Unfortunately I long since moved it on. I cant stretch to a new bass so I am looking for pickups to drop into an existing PJ jazz bass.

Can anyone recommend a P pickup to pair with a Ultra J bridge pickup or A PJ set that will get me closer to that Marcus Miller sound? The bass has a John East J-Retro fitted. Can't stretch to changing that. 

I'll be back in 6 months when I want to swap out my hifi pickups for the excellent DiMarzio Area PJ set i currently have in.

Yeah, obviously I am not expecting miracles, The P pickup is always going to be a compromise. The J pickup is also in the 60s position rather than the 70s so its is all going to be a bit of a compromise.

The P pickup is in the P sweet spot which is a few cm closer to the bridge than on most Jazz basses. For that reason, a traditional jazz scratchplate won't cover the P pickup route/screw holes. Unless I get a replacement scratchplate made which I guess is an option.

General recommendations on the internet are EMG and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. EMGs are active which doesn't suit me as I already have a preamp installed. Not sure on the QPs, nothing on Youtube is screaming Marcus Miller to me about them. 

When I say Marcus Miller, I just mean modern. I'm never going to sound like Marcus! But its a good reference point.

Been continuing with research. It is so difficult to cut through the marketing and sketchy YouTube reviews.

Nordstrands marketing is particularly fascinating:

"this combination produces a vibrational luster that is resonant of all the best aspects of precision-style playing"

If anyone can get an understanding about what the pickup design is aiming to achieve from that then hats off to you!

YouTube is no better. You never really get a grip of what your listening to. Different basses, amps, recording techniques.

That all said, I think the EMG + J-Retro combination may be what gets me closer to what I am hoping to achieve. Combination of descriptions from people on forums and YouTube seem to match up. Got room for 2 9v batteries in my reggie Hamilton so could go for the extended headroom and run both pickups and pre off both batteries.

On 30/12/2020 at 16:21, fretmeister said:

I think you'll be better off with a wide range EQ pedal like a Boss EQ-200

Then you can remove the P mid hump more accurately and boost the super lows and highs.

Ive been playing round with the EQs on my line6 helix but its not doing anything for me. The fundamental tone im after just isn't there, there is no bringing it out. At least not at my EQ skill level!

As you've mentioned the Quarter Pounders, maybe the Entwistle Neo pickups might suit, and not break the bank trying. 

I've always said the PBXN is very similar to a 1/4 pound P but even more modern sounding. Still definitely P but not vintage P. 

I also have the JBXN's in a jazz and really like them for same reason, powerful and foucussed. 

Don't let the low price sway you, they are very good pickups, just not traditional vintage sounding. 

To get closer to a J sound on the neck pickup, it might be worth considering installing a series/parallel switch. The parallel setting is only subtly different from series (ask anyone with a Fender Precision with the S-1 switch) but a bit thinner and weaker in output, which evens out the balance between the two pickups and gets you closer to a J-sound. 

Edited by LeftyJ