Why become a member? ×

Would this be sacrilege?

tomthebass

Popped an aguilar obp2 into my passive Aria as it's a gorgeous playing and looking bass but lacks a bit of punch. Sounding crisper now but still looking for some more punch. Would this be sacrilege, an irreversible mod to an early 80s classic? (I'd be looking at a pair of 4" ceramic soapbars to match the original pickup routing, just popped these 3.5" EMGs on top to get a sense of the look).

20201229_190912.jpg

20201229_190829.jpg

How much is the bass worth?

I've modded relatively expensive basses and still couldn't get what I was after. This has then been made worse by losing a fair bit of money when I've decided to cut my losses and move them on. I would try a few different pickups before I started taking a chisel to the bass (depending on how much it is worth). 

About 700 I reckon, but there's an identical one for sale on fleabay right now (see above) so we'll find out! Obviously I'd be looking at proper routing, so it would still look the part. A bit like a Vigier? But yes the pickup switcheroo is on the table too, I believe there's a Finn who makes MM-style humbuckers under a stock Aria cover, anyone have any experience?

4 minutes ago, tomthebass said:

About 700 I reckon, but there's an identical one for sale on fleabay right now (see above) so we'll find out! Obviously I'd be looking at proper routing, so it would still look the part. A bit like a Vigier? But yes the pickup switcheroo is on the table too, I believe there's a Finn who makes MM-style humbuckers under a stock Aria cover, anyone have any experience?

Ratuia replacement pickup is a fair idea too - he makes all sorts and you won’t have to modify the body.

I'm pretty relaxed about changing stuff on instruments, even if they are worth decent money and drills will be involved.  It maybe depends on whether you can foresee ever selling it in the future, and whether there would be a premium for having it in its original condition. If it's a definite keeper then I have no issue with making changes that would be difficult to put back

However...I'd want to be pretty sure that the suggested mod is going to work, and that there isn't a better solution.  F'rinstance, if you want more punch, is there nothing you could add externally, through an eq pedal, a boost, or something like a Darkglass pedal? 

Or could you just swap the existing pickup to do the job - maybe something like a MM humbucker (if you can find one to fit the shape of the existing routing) to add punch without needing an extra p/u?  What do the proposed two soapbars give you that you couldn't also get from a single new pickup?

So I'm not saying don't do it, I'm simply saying be very sure before you start cutting into the bass

No - please don't hack this up.

From the satin/grain texture finish, I think it's an SB-R60 rather than an Elite I, there's an ever-dwindling number of these around, they've not been made since around 1984, A good proportion of them have already been butchered, by earlier owners who at least had the excuse of considering them cheap, throwaway Japanese rubbish, which is how these were seen for a lot of years - and the reason they're so scarce now.

Swap the pickup, drop in a preamp - any mod that can be reversed isn't something you or any subsequent owner will come to regret.

If you think two pickups will help give you the sound you're after why not look out for an SB-R80, SB-Elite II or SB-ELT?

• Like 4

20 hours ago, tomthebass said:

Popped an aguilar obp2 into my passive Aria as it's a gorgeous playing and looking bass but lacks a bit of punch. Sounding crisper now but still looking for some more punch. Would this be sacrilege, an irreversible mod to an early 80s classic? (I'd be looking at a pair of 4" ceramic soapbars to match the original pickup routing, just popped these 3.5" EMGs on top to get a sense of the look).

20201229_190912.jpg

20201229_190829.jpg

No, no, no, no, no. Please don’t butcher this bass. 😫

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and ideas!

Partly the thread was to see how the community sees these basses as classics, and I'm hearing you loud and clear that you do. I respect that, so no panics and no butchery!

For background - I do have other basses with more punch, but this one just has a look and feel and playability that fit so I keep coming back to fiddle with it.

Looks like the single pickup upgrade is the way to go so I'll talk to Aaron and Veijo (but plan to drop in a new one rather than a rewind so I can keep the original unmodded).

Cheers all! Will let you know how it turns out...

Tom

• Like 2