Why become a member? ×

Any decent 5 hole, string-through bridges out there?

Ed_S

Hey all,

I've got a cheapish 90s bass with what seems to be an odd bridge. It's got very fender-esque measurements for mounting hole and string spacing, but allows through-body stringing. I'd like to replace all the hardware with either black or shiny nickel/chrome instead of the satin stuff that's on there from stock, but having spent a bit of time browsing this afternoon, a bridge is proving hard to find. I'm not actually bothered about stringing through, so I could technically fit any 5-hole f-style replacement and just glue the ferrules in place so they don't get lost, but I'd quite like to keep it as-intended if possible so wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for one with the ability to string through? Doesn't have to be fancy, but does have to be smooth and well engineered. Price-wise, if a Babicz or Kickass were an option I'd be up for that, so around £150ish.

Ta very much in advance,
Ed

jacksonbridge.png.b78f8f728ebcbc88f95b44e0e1121d39.png

1 hour ago, pineweasel said:

That looks very like a WD Music bridge I fitted to a Fender about 15 years ago, except mine was chrome. Probably this one, mysteriously not listed on wdmusic.co.uk though

https://www.wdmusic.com/standard-4-string-bass-bridge-details.html

Well I never - it does look very similar doesn't it. The through-body holes are slightly radiused on this original part, but it's so close, surely they must be related.

Cheers very much for that lead - it gives me at least a bit of hope that I might be able to get hold of one! I'll send WD UK an email and see whether they can have one sent over without it costing an insane amount more than just swapping the USD price into GBP - they're usually helpful. Failing that, maybe WD USA would just send me one directly and leave me to play with the post office once it gets here.

Interesting that the WD USA site is giving it the code GEB201 as if it's a Gotoh.. and I also like that they cheekily market it as a 'direct replacement for a BadAss II' 🙂