Why become a member? ×

Touring in the EU

yorks5stringer

22 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Without trying to steer this into a political debate, as I understand it, all  the restrictions come from the EU side, and they dug their heels in during the trade negotiations.  Parliament can debate it for as long as it wants but it's not in their power to change this

It was clear from the outset that leaving the EU would end freedom of movement. It's also what the country voted for - twice. As Nigel put it, no more "spending British taxes on foreigners' jobs". So  it's hardly a case of the EU digging its heels in. Why should the EU make an exception for our touring musicians? No UK touring musicians means more work for European musicians.

We wanted control of our borders. We've got control of our borders. While I sympathise with the musicians who are about to lose their livelihoods, they are not unique in that respect. That petition is another example of the UK wanting its cake and eating it. It's pathetic, delusionary, has absolutely no chance of success, and I won't be signing it.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevie said:

It was clear from the outset that leaving the EU would end freedom of movement. It's also what the coutry voted for - twice. As Nigel put it, no more "spending British taxes on foreigners' jobs". So  it's hardly a case of the EU digging its heels in. Why should the EU make an exception for our touring musicians? No UK touring musicians means more work for European musicians.

We wanted control of our borders. We've got control of our borders. While I sympathise with the musicians who are about to lose their livelihoods, they are not unique in that respect. That petition is another example of the UK wanting its cake and eating it. It's pathetic, delusionary, has absolutely no chance of success, and I won't be signing it.

It's more half the UK wanting it's cake, and the other half eating it. I'm not sure calling musicians who are at this point battered and bruised from the toughest of times pathetic for doing anything they can to just try and keep some hope is the most appropriate response on a forum about music...

I agree that the EU has absolutely no obligation to help us, but you have to realise that the vast majority of signees didn't want any restrictions either way from the start! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, stevie said:

Maybe 'pathetic' was a bit too strong. Pointless then.

I appreciate you were being specific to the situation, not a generalisation! 

From the perspective of a working bassist who loves working in the EU, (and missing working at all!)... My friends/colleagues and I are just feeling devastated at the moment. We've lost people, we've lost our livelihoods, and at least some of it feels avoidable. We'll do anything to feel like we have some say! Not to mention the obsession with fishing rights....  

When you're desperate you tend to do seemingly pointless things, as the other options start running out!

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 3

On 31/12/2020 at 15:19, Steve Browning said:

That can only be said by any impartial folk who were there. 

Any deviation would require both the UK and EU governments to agree. 

Agreed, although the "we asked and the EU said no" is the line being spun on this over the weekend

One apparently well informed piece that I was reading over the weekend made the point (actually to do with fishing rights, but it applies across the deal) that there is little to be gained from complaining about the deal because the EU are unlikely to come back to it within the next five years - they work in five year cycles, and after all the stress and posturing from both sides over this deal, they are not going to start picking away at it in the meantime.

On 01/01/2021 at 13:56, knicknack said:

I appreciate you were being specific to the situation, not a generalisation! 

From the perspective of a working bassist who loves working in the EU, (and missing working at all!)... My friends/colleagues and I are just feeling devastated at the moment. We've lost people, we've lost our livelihoods, and at least some of it feels avoidable. We'll do anything to feel like we have some say! Not to mention the obsession with fishing rights....  

When you're desperate you tend to do seemingly pointless things, as the other options start running out!

For the many people who depend on the EU for a living, this is stinky poo, there are no two ways about it. If I were in your position, @knicknack, I'd do the same. However, when the COVID situation is finally resolved and the work opportunities open up again, I'm sure you'll be back working in Europe again. It just won't be so easy.

1 hour ago, stevie said:

For the many people who depend on the EU for a living, this is stinky poo, there are no two ways about it. If I were in your position, @knicknack, I'd do the same. However, when the COVID situation is finally resolved and the work opportunities open up again, I'm sure you'll be back working in Europe again. It just won't be so easy.

... or economically worthwhile.

• Like 2