Why become a member? ×

It was a long time coming

Happy Jack

When Sgt Pepper came out, I was 11. Seriously.

Hearing a song about being 64 made no sense at all to the 11-year-old me and by a couple of years later I had classified it with Yellow Submarine and Maxwell's Silver Hammer as being a mere joke song.

At the time, my grandfather (b.1899), for whom I was named, was 68. He'd been a fine figure of a man in his day, 6'1" with athletic build, served in WW1 and was a colonial policeman for 40 years, but by 1968 he was a shrivelled-up stick-like man, gaunt and tobacco-stained. Today he would pass easily for a man in his 80s.

At the time, pretty much everyone over 50 looked (and smelled) like that.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

When Sgt Pepper came out, I was 11. Seriously.

Hearing a song about being 64 made no sense at all to the 11-year-old me and by a couple of years later I had classified it with Yellow Submarine and Maxwell's Silver Hammer as being a mere joke song.

At the time, my grandfather (b.1899), for whom I was named, was 68. He'd been a fine figure of a man in his day, 6'1" with athletic build, served in WW1 and was a colonial policeman for 40 years, but by 1968 he was a shrivelled-up stick-like man, gaunt and tobacco-stained. Today he would pass easily for a man in his 80s.

At the time, pretty much everyone over 50 looked (and smelled) like that.

Belated Happy Birthday Jack! Hope you had a good one... 👍☺️🎶🎁🥂

That's exactly it - back in the day, I remember my dad looking 64+ when he was in his early 40s, everyone did then! Mind you, that was 'Man at C&A' for you.. 😂

64 really is like being 40 these days.. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Oh. Hadn't expected anyone would think that of me. No, of course it was immaculate conception in each case: no girl would ever look at me and my four strings.

I thought it was a trick question. I've been trying to figure it out for the last 9 hours. 😂

And i still haven't sussed it. 🤔

Dave

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I thought it was a trick question. I've been trying to figure it out for the last 9 hours. 😂

And i still haven't sussed it. 🤔

Dave

Well, at least you spent the last nine hours wisely!  😁
Twas just an old joke I remembered when reading Silvia's post. Real life forced me to be monogamous or ... er... zerogamous!

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1