Why become a member? ×

Vintera 60s vs 70s Jazz Bass

Hazza2004

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between the Fender Vintera 60s and 70s jazz bass and was wondering if anyone could help me out following their own experience with these instruments. Can you adjust the TR on the 60s without removing the neck(as with the flea signature)? How different do they both sound? What is the difference in feel between the two? Is there anything else of note?

I am aware that this has been touched upon in one of my previous posts however I'm hoping for further clarification. Overall I think I'm leaning slightly towards the 60s however the TR adjustment is putting me off slightly, how much of an issue have people found it to be?

Many thanks,

Harry

They are usually "set up" at the factory (Mex Fenders have tags with them and one of the items is set up by..) but sometimes I wonder if they were set up by next doors small dog :D

Set up is a personal thing, what suits you won`t suit me. It`s quite easy to set a bass up yourself via websites or youtube tutorials or get the shop you buy if from to set it up for you.

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2020 at 17:08, Hazza2004 said:

Also how have the 60s basses been set up out of the factory? How much adjustment have you found to be required?

I realise I'm very late to the party here...

I have a Vintera 60's. It's a great bass, but the factory setup was without a doubt the worst I have seen on any bass I've ever purchased. I've had US Fender, Mex Fender, Lakland, Squier, Ibanez & Harley Benton... nothing has been as bad. Basically, it arrived with the strings tuned almost a perfect full tone flat and with zero tension in the truss rod and the action set as high as possible. It was compounded by the fact you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod.

But stick with it and it's a great bass...

Edited by geoham
Typo in Ibanez!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, geoham said:

I realise I'm very late to the party here...

I have a Vintera 60's. It's a great bass, but the factory setup was without a doubt the worst I have seen on any bass I've ever purchased. I've had US Fender, Mex Fender, Lakland, Squier, Ia & Harley Benton... nothing has been as bad. Basically, it arrived with the strings tuned almost a perfect full tone flat and with zero tension in the truss rod and the action set as high as possible. It was compounded by the fact you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod.

But stick with it and it's a great bass...

I've heard murmerings that  you can adjust the truss rod on the vintera 60s by removing the scratchplate rather than the neck, is this possible? do you mind checking if you can?  I'm really sorry for being such a pain in  the behind by asking this and completely understand if you're not willing to.

8 hours ago, Hazza2004 said:

I've heard murmerings that  you can adjust the truss rod on the vintera 60s by removing the scratchplate rather than the neck, is this possible? do you mind checking if you can?  I'm really sorry for being such a pain in  the behind by asking this and completely understand if you're not willing to.

I don't have the time right now, but you probably can. There's actually a small notch in the scratchplate that suggests you can do it with the scratchplate in place - but I had no sucess personally. However the scratchplace is a three-ply and quite thick, it looks like removing it would expose enough of the screw head to be able to turn it.

It really did frustrate the life out of me setting it up at first. I must have had the neck off half a dozen times or more to get it just right. I was probably being far too cautious with how much I was turning it at first though. 

George