Why become a member? ×

Macca at the Cavern

PaulWarning

just watched Paul McCartney at the Cavern which was shown on BBC1 on Christmas Day, enjoyed it, 2 things struck me, he had a lot of of help from the backing vocals, unsurprising bearing in mind his singing is a bit dodgy these days and fair enough.

What did surprise me was the keyboards were doing the bass line to 'I saw Her Standing There' bit of a shocker, I've always struggled with that bass line and admired the way Macca could play it and sing at the same time, it would seem he no longer can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

What did surprise me was the keyboards were doing the bass line to 'I saw Her Standing There' bit of a shocker, I've always struggled with that bass line and admired the way Macca could play it and sing at the same time, it would seem he no longer can.

well if its the one ive just watched recorded in 2018 ,,, listening through headphones it didnt sound like keys  to me 

5 minutes ago, nikon F said:

well if its the one ive just watched recorded in 2018 ,,, listening through headphones it didnt sound like keys  to me 

yes that's the one, I listened through my hi fi,  I'll have another listen through my headphones

Edit, just had a listen and it sounds like keyboards to me, to my mind that's not the sound of his Hofner bass

Edited by PaulWarning

I've just finished watching, and thought it was a cracking little show. Macca's voice may not be as strong as it once was, and I'm sure there was some post production jiggery-pokery, but nevertheless, my foot was well and truly tapping. Enjoyed some of his newer stuff too.

Watched 15 minutes of it..... sorry it was dire. Turned it off and  listened to the first track off his new album.. ... Boom 🔥🔥🔥. Wow what a drum beat that is. My days it is a quality tune. 78? Sounds like it was written by a fresh faced kid. 

This says to me, sack the awful second rate band, stop touring and do it all yourself in the studio - much better to me. Also a year off has brought his voice back too. 

Cant wait to listen to the rest of it

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

just watched Paul McCartney at the Cavern which was shown on BBC1 on Christmas Day, enjoyed it, 2 things struck me, he had a lot of of help from the backing vocals, unsurprising bearing in mind his singing is a bit dodgy these days and fair enough.

I’m 57 and I can’t sing like I could at 27. In fact I’m struggling with some songs I could nail 5 years ago. I dread to think what I’ll be like at his age. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

He's 78. I don't expect to live that long, never mind be able to perform. His dues have been overpaid and then some.

Yup. It's odd... he's certainly earned the right do whatever the hell he likes and then some, but some of his performances have been a tad lacking of late.  I'm not going to presume to tell him to jack it in or owt, but it's sometimes a bit sad to see an artist of his calibre going downhill.... but then, I guess it reminds us of our own transience, which isn't always a bad thing.... *ponders*  🤔

7 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

He is playing it, but the keys are doubling it.

27 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

He is playing it, but the keys are doubling it.

yes that's what I meant, but why?  to my ears the keys were high in the mix, the only reason I can think of he's not sure he can play it well enough anymore, so he's hiding behind the keys, why would he have keys at all on such a bass driven song? bit like lots of backing vocals to his singing, it's to cover for him,  but as it has been mentioned he is 78, better than no McCartney at all, and at least we were spared Hey Jude 😄

27 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yes that's what I meant, but why?  to my ears the keys were high in the mix, the only reason I can think of he's not sure he can play it well enough anymore, so he's hiding behind the keys, why would he have keys at all on such a bass driven song? bit like lots of backing vocals to his singing, it's to cover for him,  but as it has been mentioned he is 78, better than no McCartney at all, and at least we were spared Hey Jude 😄

He was playing it fine. It was just an arrangement / mix choice, that’s all.

• Like 4

On 26/12/2020 at 20:25, odysseus said:

but some of his performances have been a tad lacking of late

That’s because it’s not really him. We all know that he’s been dead* for years.....

Its the ear lobes that give it away, apparently 

* I don’t actually subscribe to this theory but I do know several, otherwise rational, people who are convinced that the real Macca died in the sixties

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

That’s because it’s not really him. We all know that he’s been dead* for years.....

* I don’t actually subscribe to this theory but I do know several, otherwise rational, people who are convinced that the real Macca died in the sixties

So, they not only managed to find a lookalike... they also found a soundalike, a leftiealike, a bassalike and a writealike! What are the chances, eh? 😂

47 minutes ago, SteveK said:

So, they not only managed to find a lookalike... they also found a soundalike, a leftiealike, a bassalike and a writealike! What are the chances, eh? 😂

Obviously, they couldn’t find anyone with similar writing talent which is, of course, why Macca’s stuff has got worse over the years as the unpublished material from the real one has been used up.

52 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Bootleg Beatles have, or perhaps that's the real Macca after he faked his own death? 😄

I've just watched this. After the comments above I was expecting something awful but have to say I also think it was a cracking little show.  I realised it was Abe Laboriel Jr on drums at the end. I thought the Danelectro guitar sounded surprisingly good. Jammed on a small stage in a small club I thought the sound was quite good and the Hofner bass sounded just right. His voice can sound a bit ropey at times but on this one he was fine.

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Obviously, they couldn’t find anyone with similar writing talent which is, of course, why Macca’s stuff has got worse over the years as the unpublished material from the real one has been used up.

Do conspiracy theorists really think that Macca had stockpiled songs for Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Band on the Run etc, and the numerous singles in that period... just in case he popped his clogs 🙄? They don't REALLY still believe that, do they? Macca CTs are just having a bit of fun, surely! 

4 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

'Paul is dead!'

19 hours ago, SteveK said:

And Heather Mills has done surprisingly well out of it... 😶