Why become a member? ×

Buying from EU private sellers - 20% VAT from 1 Jan 2021

Al Krow

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe only indirectly connected to our discussion on VAT, but if we had stayed in the Customs Union would VAT on private sales to/from the EU have been a non issue?

Leaving the Customs Union means we now have the freedom to lower import duties from the rest of the world, which is a good thing for UK consumers.

I must admit I was also unaware that 75% of customs duties the UK collected while it was part of the EU Customs Union were paid across to EU coffers. I guess I can see why the EU was pushing for us to remain in this - something new I've learned today! 

In theory, I presume we could rejoin the Customs Union at any point if we wanted to eg Turkey is a member, I believe, (although prevented from joining the EU, itself, by France who don't want the free movement implications). 

So if the costs of not being in the Customs Union outweigh the benefits, this should theoretically be relatively easily reversed down the line. 

Wow - there’s a whole kettle of fish. 

Considering we're only 2 days away from this kicking in. There seems to be little to no real information around as to what the new rules will entail. 

I've still no idea what I would be expected to pay shipping goods out of the UK into the EU. Or the other way around.

My wife who runs a small Etsy business has now taken the UK off her shipping list altogether. 

I will never understand how anybody ever thought this was a good idea. 

How are business supposed to deal with all this cr@p with less than a weeks notice. 

Another appalling mess from Boris and his chums. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 9

33 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Wow - there’s a whole kettle of fish. 

As with any profound change to tax and other arrangements there are going to be plusses (as touched on in my post) and minuses (as can be seen from the additional hassle in Newfoundfreedom's post).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe only indirectly connected to our discussion on VAT, but if we had stayed in the Customs Union would VAT on private sales to/from the EU have been a non issue?

Leaving the Customs Union means we now have the freedom to lower import duties from the rest of the world, which is a good thing for UK consumers.

I must admit I was also unaware that 75% of customs duties the UK collected while it was part of the EU Customs Union were paid across to EU coffers. I guess I can see why the EU was pushing for us to remain in this - something new I've learned today! 

In theory, I presume we could rejoin the Customs Union at any point if we wanted to eg Turkey is a member, I believe, (although prevented from joining the EU, itself, by France who don't want the free movement implications). 

So if the costs of not being in the Customs Union outweigh the benefits, this should theoretically be relatively easily reversed down the line. 

You might enjoy this blog Al

https://davidallengreen.com/

• Like 1

Just now, Dad3353 said:

But... But... But... That would be cheating..! :swoon:

Hardly. 

Perfectly legit to have an overseas branch. Millions of companies do. I recommend HazBeen rather than you though, Douglas. NL has a much more friendly tax regime than France 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Hardly. 

Perfectly legit to have an overseas branch. Millions of companies do. I recommend HazBeen rather than you though, Douglas. NL has a much more friendly tax regime than France 😂

Oh, OK then. I wouldn't know where to fix a brass plate, anyway. :$

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Hardly. 

They are both quite “taxing” ......

• Haha 1

No mods in Dublin, Luxembourg or Malta? You'll find their tax regimes very accommodating!

In fact so much so, that Ireland fought tooth and nail an instruction from Brussels to charge some some small mobile fruit company an extra €14 billion in taxes...😂

• Haha 3

Perhaps Basschat needs to establish a micronation along the lines of Sealand or the Hutt River Province.

I'd be happy to trade with the regime of Crown Prince Ped and the Council of Mods (aka the Style Council).

In all seriousness, things will change in all kinds of known and unknown ways. There are problems, opportunities, and imaginative solutions on the horizon. It is definitely worth paying close attention to this evolving situation.

• Like 1

In another bass forum where there is a lot of "talk", they have a classified section for domestic and a separate one for foreign-based sales/trades.

Is that an idea for BC?

Perhaps another suggestion would be to keep things as they are but to require that folks specify the location (economic region) of the item for sale/trade. In most cases it is already in the members' avatar anyway.

Just a suggestion.

Personally, I find the BC classifieds a great place to visit. The "B" word won't change my habits....but I might be forced to be a bit more selective. Then again,  maybe not😉!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

In another bass forum where there is a lot of "talk", they have a classified section for domestic and a separate one for foreign-based sales/trades.

Is that an idea for BC?

Perhaps another suggestion would be to keep things as they are but to require that folks specify the location (economic region) of the item for sale/trade. In most cases it is already in the members' avatar anyway.

Just a suggestion.

Personally, I find the BC classifieds a great place to visit. The "B" word won't change my habits....but I might be forced to be a bit more selective. Then again,  maybe not😉!

That location idea sounds like an excellent one.

Urm, urm, the location idea is already in place since a year or maybe 2... It's mandatory when putting an ad in the for sale section... It's just under the price and only old ads don't have it (check the in line date just under).

That said, I can run the branch in Luxembourg as it's just 20 minutes away and I already have all the authorizations needed, but MY taxes are very high. :biggrin:

Edited by Hellzero
Location location
  • Like 1