Why become a member? ×

Xmas Present 2020

Chezz55

We don't really do xmas presents here in NL as we have 'Sinterklaas' on dec. 5th for that.

But since I get a 13th month wage each december I decided to add an even more portable rig to my arsenal.
What I already had:

Rig 1 - Trace Elliot Hexa Valve + Barefaced Big Twin II Gen3.
Rig 2 - Trace Elliot RAH600SMX + SWR Henry the 8x8.

And now I added ultra portable rig 3:

TC Electronic RH750 + 2x Trace Elliot 2x8" cabs. (already have an Elf amp as well)

This new rig will be used for all situations where I don't want to drag either of the bigger rigs along.
I am hoping it will be plenty loud. The TC head was a nobrainer. It has a built in tuner and comp plus the three EQ preset buttons are very useful. I went for as much utility value as possible as let's face it - the Hexa Valve sounds 10.000x better then any class D head ever will.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, King Tut said:

The Gong album is a remastered special edition with out takes and a live set from The Marquee in 1975.

Ooh I'd forgotten about Gong - Steve Hillage and others. Time to dig out my vinyl copy of ''Live Herald' and give 'Salmon Song' an airing.

• Like 2

Here we go offtrack already...but I love early GONG - Daevid Allen/Steve Hillage Glissandoz Guitar. And what happy trippy hippy music! 

Now back on track. Some get the bass, some get the mug. Last year my gf got me TWO sets of Stick strings. I know, you're thinking...but when you're on disability and foodstamps, and Stick strings for 12 string DBR go for $68US, it'sa BIG DEAL. And - well, Stick strings last a lot longer that guitar/bass 'cause of lower tension and tapping vs. plucking, but this set is just going NOW. So I'll be changing strings for the New Year. And she's contributed to the re=fret project on the other one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

...nobody plays now.

Be warned : it's highly addictive..! There are several variants to the Rules, and it's, at its base, a gambling game, but we just play for points scored, of course. A whole game can last three or four evenings. If one of the players has to leave, we keep the scores, then take up the same game when they come back, sometimes a year or so later..! Better than Monopoly, at any rate..! B|

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Be warned : it's highly addictive..! There are several variants to the Rules, and it's, at its base, a gambling game, but we just play for points scored, of course. A whole game can last three or four evenings. If one of the players has to leave, we keep the scores, then take up the same game when they come back, sometimes a year or so later..! Better than Monopoly, at any rate..! B|

The set I have has been in the family for well over 100 years; I'm not going to get all righteous about it, but it's made of ebony and ivory.  I recall my dad saying he'd re-inked some of the tiles and all the flowers in the 1950s.  The set came with these blue-leather tile trays, but my grandfather made up small wooden trays that I have as well.  Just the noise of the tiles being shuffled take me back to being a little kid.

They used to play penny a point and I do remember some of the tiles having nicknames.  The suits (in our family) were/are wheels, cracks or sticks, the dragons are simply red'un, green'un or soaps.  There wasn't any difference in the flowers (they weren't seasons and flowers, they were all flowers). 

The two of cracks tile was affectionately known as 'Ma Clifford' in our household; my grandfather reached Regimental Sergeant Major at one point in his army career and I know the chap on the right of the photo below to be Mr Clifford (my grandfather is on the left).  Read into this what you will.

wally.jpg

• Thanks 1