Why become a member? ×

NPD: Tech21 SH-1 Steve Harris

fretmeister

33 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Arrived this morning. It’s very good indeed, and very versatile.

Does a very good Motown!

Shame I can’t play with my fingers at the mo and my plectrum skills are lacking!

Not what I need to hear with me possessing dUg and a PSA 2.0!

• Haha 1

I got one a few months ago - I think it’s a game changer. For me, there’s a gig feng-shui to it - 3 sounds (off - using your amp controls, then both channels of the pedal) and then the tuner. And the size!!! It’s just perfect. 

Also, going through the presets in the manual - it’s a really versatile pedal. As much as Maiden are in my DNA since I was 10 in 1987, the Steve Harris tone isn’t going to work for everything. That’ll be when you want the Lemmy setting. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

I've not tried stacking either - I'll give it a go! I don't have much experience in stacking pedals, as I mostly play clean, so the neighbours are in for a treat tomorrow 😎

Photo your fave setting on its own on each so they are never lost - and then play from there in either order, you may find vastly different ones probably than you would use in isolation, but you will find 2 or 3 sounds available at just stomping on switches

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

Santa was a couple of days late, but mine has finally arrived! Enjoying it so far.

I'm now wondering what to do with my VT bass DI. Do you think there's a reason to keep both?

Keep both until you’ve compared them in a full band mix and/or at high volume. I preferred the VTDI in the end and sold the SH1!

• Like 1

Best tip when it comes to stacking, if you have a bright clanky sound set up, don’t boost into it with the same. It’s best to use a darker overdrive to boost into it; if you’re stacking a VTDI into the SH1 for example, turn the bite off on the VTDI.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Best tip when it comes to stacking, if you have a bright clanky sound set up, don’t boost into it with the same. It’s best to use a darker overdrive to boost into it; if you’re stacking a VTDI into the SH1 for example, turn the bite off on the VTDI.

Unless you want super clank of course!

• Like 1

Well if you do decide that the VTDI is surplus, I'm sure you'll have no trouble shifting it - they don't seem to hang around at all in the FS and it still seems to be one of the most (if not the most) popular Tech 21 pedals. I'm guessing for good reason!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

Thanks for the tips! I certainly do like the clank, but I guess there can sometimes be too much of a good thing 😇 I'll have a try with a darker boost on the VTDI into the SH1. Sounds fun 🙂

You’ll have fun - there is no right or wrong settings on either one or order - so many variables at play, but as ever with T21 dials a little goes a long way so the only thing I would defo advise is small turns at a time, when you get ear fatigue, step away for a few mins and return or you will lose definition.

Nowt wrong with clank into clank either!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well if you do decide that the VTDI is surplus, I'm sure you'll have no trouble shifting it - they don't seem to hang around at all in the FS and it still seems to be one of the most (if not the most) popular Tech 21 pedals. I'm guessing for good reason!

Ooo great! Glad to hear I made a decent choice last year!

6 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

You’ll have fun - there is no right or wrong settings on either one or order - so many variables at play, but as ever with T21 dials a little goes a long way so the only thing I would defo advise is small turns at a time, when you get ear fatigue, step away for a few mins and return or you will lose definition.

Nowt wrong with clank into clank either!

That's a good idea, thanks. I probably wouldn't have thought that at all! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I’ve tweaked the B3K a bit and now they are stacking wonderfully.

It inspired me to write a new tune with the tone. Noice.

How is the hand?  Any progress with physio yet?

I'm a Spurs fan, so I couldn't stick any West Ham paraphernalia on my pedal board, even if it was the best thing since sliced bread.  I am getting along quite well with my DI-2112 though.