Why become a member? ×

Leslie West - RIP

BlueMoon

Stuff of my youth.  Leslie West master of the power chord and great blues phrasing.  Some standouts for me are: Mississippi Queen, Never in my life, and a great cover of Theme for an imaginary western. Play loud in the car :)

Edited by 3below
  • Like 3

Take my word for it Leslie West is unheralded in the US also. And the band. They were a cohesive unit. Only guitarists will cite Leslie, and then, the band. The songs, the performances, studio and live, I mean, c'mon. West Bruce & Lang were decent - look at the particulars - but Mountain? With Felix Pappalardi they ROCKED. Leslie West really played tasty from first note and chords to last. A force to reckoned with, a sound immediately identifiable. THAT'S the definition of greatness. First rock band I was in, as a teenager, we did a lot of their tunes. It took two guitarists to re-create his parts! And we did Mountain's tunes because we loved the band, not because they were popular. (we did a lot of Joe Walsh/James Gang too!)

• Like 1

Fantastic musician/band

i saw Mountain a few times, and chatted to them at a gig at either the Borderline or the LA 2  (it was definitely a downstairs venue, they wandered in after me, and looking lost, asked if I knew where the dressing rooms were) and had only recently re-bought Twin Peaks on CD

Their half hour live version of Nantucket Sleighride is one of very, very few tracks that go in for so long without a dull moment

• Like 3

I think the long version of Sleighride live is about 17 mins and small change.  I had the vinyl when i was a youngster,  and IIRC, the album was called The Road Goes Ever On,  and quite right Monkey Steve, never a dull moment

Just found it -  nearly 18 mins actually.  Brilliant

• Like 4

Our band leader, Del Bromham, toured with Leslie a few years back. Our manager was also close friends with him and lived with him for a while. Both are devastated and only have good things to say about him. Poor chap. Apparently he'd only just moved home, life was good and he was happy, only to have it all snatched away.

• Sad 1

On 24/12/2020 at 22:55, fleabag said:

I think the long version of Sleighride live is about 17 mins and small change.  I had the vinyl when i was a youngster,  and IIRC, the album was called The Road Goes Ever On,  and quite right Monkey Steve, never a dull moment

Just found it -  nearly 18 mins actually.  Brilliant

The live version on the Twin Peaks live album is over 31 mins - almost twice the length and still brilliant

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2