Why become a member? ×

headsock... for low ceilings!

carl0s

We've moved into a house with really low ceilings. Especially my play room.

I got a new bass very recently - an SR1305-TSF.

I usually practice sat down,  but on the couple of occasions when I've tried playing standing up, well apart from the strap ends making annoying squeaking sounds, the other problem is the low ceilings. When I come to put the bass back down, I have been very close to scraping the headstock against the ceiling, and this is a knobbly ceiling too!

Has anybody come up with some kind of headstock-sock, a.k.a a headsock? :) I have put some foam on at the moment but it's not stuck too well. I think some sort of thick clear stretchy silicone would be good. Something that puts a 2mm thick cover just over the end, but stretches over and sits tight enough that it moulds to the shape of the headstock - the bit above the tuners only, of course.

ceiling.jpg

sdgr1.jpg

sdgr2.jpg

Edited by carl0s
  • Like 1

Just now, Geek99 said:

How about two football socks ? Ie two layers 

I suppose.. yeah I could put actual big thick socks over the whole headstock, but I was thinking about an elegant and permanent solution :)

Imagine shrink-wrap just over the end, but thick, clear, and silicone-jelly like.

4 minutes ago, carl0s said:

I suppose.. yeah I could put actual big thick socks over the whole headstock, but I was thinking about an elegant and permanent solution :)

Imagine shrink-wrap just over the end, but thick, clear, and silicone-jelly like.

Tea cosy - or would a big golf club “glove” do 

BAH same idea same moment @Bunion

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, carl0s said:

You used to be able to get something called Plasti Dip for coating handles of tools. In theory it peels off and leaves the surface underneath undamaged. Not sure I'd want to try it on a bass myself.

Maybe some acoustic foam tiles on the ceiling?

• Like 1

I used a product from 3M years back on my bass as it had no scratchplate and my fingernails were wearing through the wood coating underneath the strings ( I had an unusual playing technique back then i.e. poor lol)

This was years ago mind so they may not do it anymore but it was a pack of clear plastic 'dots' and 'lozenges' that you applied like a sticking plaster. Worked a treat. Cant mind for the life of me what it was called though......

Edited by sprocketflup

11 hours ago, carl0s said:

We've moved into a house with really low ceilings. Especially my play room.

I usually practice sat down,  but on the couple of occasions when I've tried playing standing up

Are you sure this is bass related? xD

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Aside from the bloody obvious of remembering the ceiling and compensating for it,

This. Give it a while and it will become second nature not to lift the bass above your head. Try sliding the strap off your shoulder in a sort of saucy undressing kinda way. Works for me (the action, not the image of you doing it! :D)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1