Why become a member? ×

Blend pot wiring

Silky999

I’m going to be wiring a 500k Bourns MN blend pot to replace the 250k one already in place. I’m not sure I wired the 250k one properly originally so wanted to check what goes where( oo ‘er missus). I get the concept that a blend is basically a stacked pot that is tapered oppositely for each level so turning the spindle turns on half down each way from a 50/50 centre point 

I found this diagram on the net and wanted to confirm that this is correct? I get that the hot wires go to opposite tabs on each level of the pot and where the output comes from. Some say that the ground should be left off to stop tone sucking? Are the diagonal wires 2 separate wires that connect the diagonally opposing tabs on each level?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge and any advice would be great.

7D084D60-0597-431B-9D45-5F0B32E5937A.thumb.jpeg.932325af0baafa58ba68da9cb7b9f5ba.jpeg

With model MN, you need a multimeter. Start with the top of the pot.

1) Number the lugs like in the picture below.

2) Turn the pot axle to the middle position.

3) Connect the test probes to the lugs 1 & 2 or 2 & 3, you should see 500k or 0 k.

Ground is on the 500 k side. If the 500 k side is 2 & 3, then the top ground is #3 and bottom pot ground is #1. Outputs are #2s.

R4_1-potentiometer-definition-of-electri

bourns-pot-16mm-500k-mn-taper-smooth~2.j

• Like 1