Why become a member? ×

So I’m thinking I fancy a Warwick

Meatbag

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Warwick Thumb NT 5 any good? There's one in BD currently but seems a little "full" on asking price. 

Yes, they’re exceptional. The fretless I had is the only bass I’ve regretted selling but I had to get a deposit for a flat at the time. As those have mentioned already, it’s very difficult to play standing up because of how it sits on a strap. The one on BD isn’t a bad price because 8 years ago I sold it for £1200 and that didn’t have the hard case, and they will be making commission.

• Thanks 1

The Warwicks I have owned and played were all phenomenal quality instruments.
They play light, are really easy to set up and usually allow for ultra low action and lots of playing comfort.

BUT

Warwicks have a sound all their own. I found they were a bit too perfect for their own good. When digging in they would just get louder but not snarl or growl (they do have an always growly midrangey character though). They keep sounding articulate and clear at all times, at all positions across the neck. This is not for everyone.

After laying hands on a Fodera NYC Empire, which is essentially an active jazz bass with Mike Pope pre, I decided it was time to say goodbye to Warwicks. This bass is much more responsive and full of character. It translates what I throw at it into sound better in my opinion.

Moral of the story: Warwicks are awesome, but not everyone will like their characteristics.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks for the thumbs up (excuse the pun!). How old was yours when you sold it, the BD is a 12 year old model and I've heard that 2000 to 2010 wasn't Warwick's purple patch?

I’m pretty sure it was made in 2006. When I got it (without testing it first) I found that the truss rod and jack socket needed replacing, but once that was done at the gallery there were no further issues. I think a lot of love for the earlier Warwick’s is mostly down to the slimmer necks. 

16 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’m pretty sure it was made in 2006. When I got it (without testing it first) I found that the truss rod and jack socket needed replacing, but once that was done at the gallery there were no further issues. I think a lot of love for the earlier Warwick’s is mostly down to the slimmer necks. 

Thanks Oliver - that's really helpful. I think you're therefore saying you sold a 6 y/o Thumb 5 NT for £1,200 in 2012 without a hard case and they are selling a 12 y/o Thumb NT for £1,650 with a hard case, so maybe the pricing of the one currently FS isn't too OTT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Oliver - that's really helpful. I think you're therefore saying you sold a 6 y/o Thumb 5 NT for £1,200 in 2012 without a hard case and they are selling a 12 y/o Thumb NT for £1,650 with a hard case, so maybe the pricing of the one currently FS isn't too OTT.

Especially with someone on eBay trying to get nearly £5k for a ‘91 model. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Especially with someone on eBay trying to get nearly £5k for a ‘91 model. 

WOW ..........Is that a custom version at that price ? 

Mine is the 4 string NT from 1989 that i've had since new original EMG's but had to replace the preamp with MEC one when the EMG one failed.  If i was selling i would be looking somewhere in region of £1k - £1.5k and mine is in excellent condition having only done 5 or 6 gigs and a few rehearsals with no dings or marks on it.

Jings that sounded like a sales pitch 😂

I've tried a few over the years but none compared to the late 80's early 90's basses in my opinion.

Tried the Rockbass versions too and they were just cheap basses to me and had no character plus necks were just not to my liking. EQ was a bit boom and treble too altho it did have HB's rather than the EMG J's on my Thumb.

Just make sure you try before buying and try and get as much time on them before you dish out the cash.

Personally i love my Warwick but its a bit limited in use to certain styles of music in my opinion.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

This info is great guys. 

Was looking at the Corvette $$ in andertons as I have heard a lot about the warwick "growl". What are the necks like on the newer models $$ models? I'm used to sr ibanez.

TBH an Ibanez neck is a pretty skinny thing and I reckon you'd struggle to find many manufacturers that could get that skim.  :/  

15 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

This info is great guys. 

Was looking at the Corvette $$ in andertons as I have heard a lot about the warwick "growl". What are the necks like on the newer models $$ models? I'm used to sr ibanez.

can you post a link?  It depends on whether the model is NT (neck thru) or not - the NTs have very slim necks, the bolt ons slightly less so, but not hugely noticeable until you get past the 15th fret

I haven't played one of those - I assume that it's OK, although it's difficult to track down the exact specs

One difference I do notice is that the fingerboard is rosewood rather than Wenge, which is the German made standard, and allegedly part of the Warwick growl. I also note that they are passive electrics, so no active eq.  Quite a nice demo at the end of the video - doesn't sound much like I do on my $$, but that's mainly due to the playing style.  You get the growl when you dig in

On that Rockbass the controls are limited compared to a German Pro Series. The version in your link doesn't have the active EQ and individual 3-way switches per pickup (series / parallel / single coil) but instead only has a passive tone control and two push-pull volume pots which only offer series / parallel switching. 

I'll just say if you have 700quid to spend, definitely, definitely buy a "real" warwick second hand.

You won't regret it and can sell it with no real loss if you don't get on with it.

That rockbass double buck may well be a fine bass, but even buying new I wouldn't drop £700 on it, ( I'd spend less for a different brand). and if you don't like it I doubt you could sell it for £400

• Like 1

Two examples -

nothing to do with me and caveat emptor etc

Corvette-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARWICK-CORVETTE-BASS/254821164121?hash=item3b54866459:g:RooAAOSw5MFf06la

Fortress-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Fortress-One-Bass-1993/254768636175?hash=item3b5164e10f:g:RD0AAOSwv7Zfoqr4

I really doubt the fortress will go for £800. They are less well known than corvettes and streamers, but arguably much better ergonomically.

I still regret selling my fortress masterman.

The corvette looks good, although the full caps description really puts me off I have to say.

I wouldn't buy either without playing/inspecting  them first, but that's just me.

Neither of these bassess will sound like a double buck, but both WILL have a definitive warwick sound and being German made will be superbly put together.

Edited by Woodwind
spelling

Look for Jazzman pickup config models too, the MM style pickup at bridge position has the biggest influence on differences in tone when switching between its modes. The one at neck position less so.

This was my Corvette $$. It played like a dream and looked the bizz. Maybe someday I will have room in my rack for another.

Corvette_1.thumb.jpg.aa857ff8043f2c88baa246de448d3325.jpg

Corvette_2.thumb.jpg.23a7c7c50e0dfe6eb5b355e0668fa525.jpg

Corvette_3.thumb.jpg.6d390cad5dd5544eeda8b74c81e47e38.jpg

• Like 2