Why become a member? ×

Thomann and deliveries to the UK

jezzaboy

4 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

I imagine Thomann have a longstanding agreement with Fender which grants them the right to sell Fender products within the EU, of which the UK is no longer a member state.

Ah yes, thanks. That makes sense, although I wonder how it would work for smaller businesses or online shops, i.e. whether Fender also say what region they’re allowed to sell to. Perhaps these sorts of agreements only kick in with businesses of a certain size/sales. 

I'm wondering if the VAT rules differ again for us folk in Northern Ireland. We are still part of the EU single market when it comes to goods imports and exports. Might make a bit of difference on a £2k bass for sure. I'll look into it further!

48 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I'm wondering if the VAT rules differ again for us folk in Northern Ireland. We are still part of the EU single market when it comes to goods imports and exports. Might make a bit of difference on a £2k bass for sure. I'll look into it further!

My (admittedly weak...) understanding is that, for trade purposes, Northern Ireland is treated as still being in the EU, so no Eire border checks etc, and no VAT differences. Buying and selling from or to the EU will be as before. Buying and selling to GB, however, will change, and probably involve paperwork, and perhaps, expense.

On 31/12/2020 at 12:56, Old Man Riva said:

My courier status shows the location as Stanford Le Hope. However, in a more detailed view, it doesn’t show that the item has arrived at the facility - in a similar way that it showed it had ‘arrived’ at Herne Boernig in Germany on 23rd Dec and ‘departed’ Herne Boernig on 24th.

It’s a mystery of Scooby Doo proportions! 

Bass arrived from Germany today via UPS. All good.

Hope deliveries arrived safely for others on the thread... 

• Like 2

I just received a Sadowsky preamp from them today. It looks like I can add Fenders to my basket and get to check out again. The only difference is the prices are shown as ex-VAT so there will be something to pay at the other end.

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2020 at 14:21, mcnach said:

Same here. And another that I ordered around the 14th was delivered on Monday. Fingers crossed. Both appeared to be shipped by UPS.

Received the dispatched note on the 23rd of December, arrived today in one piece (Harley Benton bass).

If you go to your basket on Thomann in now says this:

Due to current restrictions in the logistics networks between Germany and the UK, we cannot guarantee at this time that your delivery will arrive on time or be able to pass the border without delay. We’re happy to accept your order, and we will do our very best to make sure your order gets to you in the reliable and speedy manner you have come to know from us. Should any problems arise related to your order for any reason, we will get in touch with you.

On 01/01/2021 at 18:02, EssentialTension said:

I imagine Thomann have a longstanding agreement with Fender which grants them the right to sell Fender products within the EU, of which the UK is no longer a member state.

Because of competition rules within the EU, companies cannot be prevented from shipping to other EU countries. Now that  we're out, Fender can legally prevent Thomann from shipping to the UK in order to increase the amount of business that goes through Fender UK. Is my guess.

32 minutes ago, stevie said:

Because of competition rules within the EU, companies cannot be prevented from shipping to other EU countries. Now that  we're out, Fender can legally prevent Thomann from shipping to the UK in order to increase the amount of business that goes through Fender UK. Is my guess.

Makes sense 

• 1 month later...

As I understand it, if you need to return an instrument to the EU, before submitting a claim you need the following info:

- name, address, telephone number and UK VAT registration number of the importer (in this case UPS)

- date of customs entry

- customs entry number (6 digits and a letter)

- EPU (entry processing unit) number. This is a 3-digit code and represents the location of customs entry, e.g. Dover is 060

- the precise amount of Duty and VAT paid

- the original sales invoice

I believe you then need to fill out form C285 online: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-repayment-or-remission-of-import-duties-c285-chief - choose the CHIEF option and in the form choose the option of a private importer without VAT registration and all the details above, plus your details and bank account info, should suffice.

It looks like returning the goods is the same as sending the goods outside of the UK. 3 copies of the invoice on the outside of the box.

So basically buying from Europe is a clear case of caveat emptor.

Edited by FDC484950
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

basically buying from Europe is a clear case of caveat emptor -  I won’t be doing it again!

First up, I'm really sorry you have to go through this nonsense. 

But I'm also glad you shared it with us all. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1