Why become a member? ×

Speakon cables, Which one..??

bubinga5

Neutrix NL4FX is the typical cable connector on both ends when connecting amps to speakers.

There are a LOT of fake Neutrik clones around which aren't made to the same standards as the legit ones. Had a quick search on Amazon for NL4 and almost all the results are clones.

Edited by TwoTimesBass
spelling
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BassBunny said:

You can use NL2 plugs as well. The NL4 is a 4 pole plug, generally used in bi-amp situations. The NL2 is a 2 pole and will work fine.

Genuine Neutrik is the way to go and if you need a custom length Award Session are great.

I seem to remember that NL4 and NL2's aren't interchangeable with each other, one won't plug into another's socket, well I had trouble once when I ordered the wrong plug

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I seem to remember that NL4 and NL2's aren't interchangeable with each other, one won't plug into another's socket, well I had trouble once when I ordered the wrong plug

Must admit I've never had a problem with interchanging them but I've only ever used genuine Neutrik ones. The only difference is one is 2 pole and the other 4 pole, they should be physically the same size.

That said unless you have a Gallien Kruger bi-amp head, you only need 2 pole.

The cheap, knock off Speakons are getting a nasty reputation of getting stuck in sockets and only being able to be removed with brute force and ignorance (with a 50/50 chance of knackering the socket on the way out). Much Talkbass and Facebook chatter on this. I’d only ever use kosher Neutrik ones - anything else is the definition of a false economy. My Cleartone speaker cables have given me well over a dozen years of uncomplaining, reliable service.

9 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Must admit I've never had a problem with interchanging them but I've only ever used genuine Neutrik ones. The only difference is one is 2 pole and the other 4 pole, they should be physically the same size.

That said unless you have a Gallien Kruger bi-amp head, you only need 2 pole.

A 2 pole plug will go into a 4 pole socket but not the other way round. A 4 pole plug will NOT fit a 2 pole socket.

29 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

A 2 pole plug will go into a 4 pole socket but not the other way round. A 4 pole plug will NOT fit a 2 pole socket.

You are right, my bad. I think most kit I have come across has 4 pole sockets fitted as standard, in fact do they make a 2 pole?

6 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

You are right, my bad. I think most kit I have come across has 4 pole sockets fitted as standard, in fact do they make a 2 pole?

I remember now, I bought a 2 pole replacement socket for a PA speaker and our speaker cable had 4 pole plugs, confused the hell out of me when they wouldn't plug in and twist

I dunno, I prefer 1/4" connectors. No one walks behind my amp that can accidentally kick a speaker cable, it's only 2 feet long, doesn't hang. My amps are 500w or under, not really high powered.

I too had a knockoff speakon stick in my amp. I have remade it with genuine Neutrik speakon but I rarely use it.In 41 years I have never had, or heard about , a speaker cable come out during a gig, never, ever.

Speakons were made for high wattage touring PA setups, not for me with my 200w Elf , which, btw, doesn't have speakon sockets for obvious reasons.

Speakon cables are simple to make. Just make sure you buy genuine Neutrik Speakons (cheap copies don't always fit well and can jam) and decent cable - Van Damme or similar. Get at least 2.5mm for all but low power applications. No soldering required. Just cut the cable strip to the correct length (the Speakon packet has a diagram to guide you) and screw them in. Takes 5 mins tops. You only need two pole 99% of the time.