Why become a member? ×

Power Amp Question

Bleat

17 hours ago, agedhorse said:

The balanced output clips at +2dB peak (-1dBu RMS) maximum, not enough for driving a power amp to rated output in the real world. You will need +4dBu (minimum) plus at least 6dB of headroom to make up for losses relative to real world implementation. 

Happy Xmas to you and thanks for your much-appreciated input (no pun intended!).  Yes, my further research clarified this - so between the D120 D.I.'s output and the input of the power amp, I'm planning to install a Behringer Ultragain MIC100 preamp.  I believe that with it's variable controls, this should allow me to overcome those signal losses?  Many thanks, Mark.

3 hours ago, mytilini said:

Happy Xmas to you and thanks for your much-appreciated input (no pun intended!).  Yes, my further research clarified this - so between the D120 D.I.'s output and the input of the power amp, I'm planning to install a Behringer Ultragain MIC100 preamp.  I believe that with it's variable controls, this should allow me to overcome those signal losses?  Many thanks, Mark.

Those preamps have the cardinal sin of a tube that was installed by the marketing department and not the engineering one, but if you can get past that they're actually decent units. Loads of gain, choice of inputs, balanced out on both trs and xlr. It'll be great for this application. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jack said:

Those preamps have the cardinal sin of a tube that was installed by the marketing department and not the engineering one, but if you can get past that they're actually decent units. Loads of gain, choice of inputs, balanced out on both trs and xlr. It'll be great for this application. 

Cheers for that Jack... I hope to use this as a permanent solution to up-volume my on-stage sound in the very rare occasions that I need to connect to both desk AND a stage stack!  Tube warmth is new to me, as an ex-TE, GK, Hartke & current TC solid-state user.  I do find the BG250-210 is normally a perfect, non back-breaking way to get a decent on-stage quality & volume of sound.  Sometimes, circumstances just need you to uprate tho.  But, this is a cheap way to experiment the theory 😊.