Why become a member? ×

Bassworks

Loving the attention to detail in all aspects! I've never been a fan of the surface mounted Jack socket plates you see on instrument edges, even on some of the most expensive instruments. Being recessed flush is so much nicer. Actually, thinking about it, flush recessed front control plates and scratch plates would be rather cool too! Does this exist?

On 26/12/2020 at 11:01, MoonBassAlpha said:

Loving the attention to detail in all aspects! I've never been a fan of the surface mounted Jack socket plates you see on instrument edges, even on some of the most expensive instruments. Being recessed flush is so much nicer. Actually, thinking about it, flush recessed front control plates and scratch plates would be rather cool too! Does this exist?

Thanks @MoonBassAlpha, I believe this does exist. There's no problem in implementing this either way. It just needs some forethought in terms of electronics cavity depth and choice of electronics to suit available depth.

This pretty much concludes the build diary for this instrument folks. The finish is a what I call a light "cryo-relic" with some mild abrasions to a couple of places. Personally I'm not a great fan of heavy relic instruments, but I'm happy to do it if a Client wants! 😉.

All the best for the New Year folks. See you for another Build Diary soon....

IMG_8078.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8081.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

• Like 5

I love everything about this build. The neatness of the control cavity that no-one will really see says a lot. I’ve owned some lovely gear and a lot of them look like spaghetti junction in there. And the subtle cracked finish is a dream come true. Little details maketh the bass! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SamPlaysBass said:

I love everything about this build. The neatness of the control cavity that no-one will really see says a lot. I’ve owned some lovely gear and a lot of them look like spaghetti junction in there. And the subtle cracked finish is a dream come true. Little details maketh the bass! 

Thanks Sam, much appreciated. Happy New Year in advance!

Great stuff, and nicely photographed too 😉

I'm a brass nut fan 👌🏼they seem to be unfashionable these days, and I know some players see them as  an 80's fad 🙄

Maybe I'm just showing my age 😆😆

Lovely work all round though 👍🏼

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassTool said:

Great stuff, and nicely photographed too 😉

I'm a brass nut fan 👌🏼they seem to be unfashionable these days, and I know some players see them as  an 80's fad 🙄

Maybe I'm just showing my age 😆😆

Lovely work all round though 👍🏼

Thanks, I'm doing all sorts from Graph Tech TUSQ, though to bone and brass. I like the way that the open string on a brass nut sounds closer to a fretted note, tonally.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I didn't know that....I love brass nuts, my preferred option.

I suspect prevalence (or lack of it) is more to do with the amount of work and effort to produce one in metal as compared to soft, fast cutting materials such as bone and Graph Tech TUSQ.

Edited by Bassworks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil_T said:

This just links back to this post for me

Bassworks Luthier FB Page

OK so tried a different route if this does not get you to my Facebook page then Basschat is blocking links that go out of their platform and instead putting you back to the head of the thread. This video with audio is the pinned post on my page. Thanks.

My search string on Facebook is @bassworksluthiery

Edited by Bassworks
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2021 at 11:49, TheGreek said:

JOOI how much for?

Hi, a great Black Friday week price that I held open for a while longer. I can't realistically offer these deals on all instruments all year round. If you were interested in having one built to your colour with some choice around body, neck and fretboard woods it would come in at c£1,950 with branded Hiscox hard case and 2 years of free setup and service (fair use policy applies). No VAT to pay on that. Note that I have just started a build diary up for this one's sister. A PPJ5 in Daphne Blue. She's up for last year's crazy deal price and ready in about a week or so.

Edited by Bassworks
  • Like 1