Why become a member? ×

Ultra Twangy bass guitar sound required.

Spoombung

I'm a big fan of extreme TWANG but you rarely hear it from a bass guitar...so this video caught my interest. At first I thought it might have been a baritone guitar in four string format or something...but I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of is it's certainly a mightily impressive sound.

Can anyone tell me more about it? I'd like something like it (obviously not in double guitar format). Anyone got an instrument that sounds like this? Any tips or suggestions or modifications to regular basses come to mind..?

Assuming that audio on the video is produce with the instruments being used, I would suspect the following:

1. Short-scale (30") bass stung with round wounds.

2. Single coil pickups with emphasis on the bridge pickup.

3. Into a guitar amp with plenty of bass cut and upper-mid boost.

4. Hard plastic pick.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Assuming that audio on the video is produce with the instruments being used, I would suspect the following:

4. Hard plastic pick.

Yeah, I'd agree with this...however the strings sound very taught and I'm not sure a 30" scale would produce unless they're heavy gauge, perhaps?

30 minutes ago, Spoombung said:

At first I thought it might have been a baritone guitar in four string format or something...but I'm not sure.

I thought exactly the same. My best guess is that he's playing a Danelectro bass through an octave-up pedal.

If you'd like to experiment with a Danelectro twin-neck to see if you can match the sound, drop me a PM ... I have one hanging on the wall next to me.

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

4. Hard plastic pick.

Was going to say, sounds like a bass VI type sound through a guitar amp.

Very cool, in that context.

3 minutes ago, Spoombung said:

Yeah, I'd agree with this...however the strings sound very taught and I'm not sure a 30" scale would produce unless they're heavy gauge, perhaps?

I've never had a problem getting a twangy sound out my short-scale basses with standard gauge strings (100-40) when playing through a guitar amp/combo. You do need a bass with the bridge pickup close to the bridge as in the video.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cato said:

I reckon the amp's doing most of the heavy lifting on this.

Treble boosted, lot of reverb and a touch of tremelo.

I've always liked the sound of a bass guitar through a guitar amp...maybe it's a nostalgia thing from the days I couldn't afford a bass amp. It does aid twang for sure but I think the bass has to be right as well.

53 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've never had a problem getting a twangy sound out my short-scale basses with standard gauge strings (100-40) when playing through a guitar amp/combo. You do need a bass with the bridge pickup close to the bridge as in the video.

Have you got a sound example?

58 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I thought exactly the same. My best guess is that he's playing a Danelectro bass through an octave-up pedal.

If you'd like to experiment with a Danelectro twin-neck to see if you can match the sound, drop me a PM ... I have one hanging on the wall next to me.

Really? I'd love to have a go...

51 minutes ago, Spoombung said:

Have you got a sound example?

The closest I have on-line would be the latest single "Stars" by my band Hurtsfall.

This is a Burns Barracuda Bass VI strung with Newtone Axion round-wound strings into a Roland JC120 combo sim on a Line 6 Helix.

There are additional effects, mostly chorus and auto-filter on the sound, and I used the middle pickup rather than the bridge and a nylon rather than hard plastic pick, but you should be able to hear that it's starting to get into the ballpark for the sound that you are after. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The closest I have on-line would be the latest single "Stars" by my band Hurtsfall.

This is a Burns Barracuda Bass VI strung with Newtone Axion round-wound strings into a Roland JC120 combo sim on a Line 6 Helix.

There are additional effects, mostly chorus and auto-filter on the sound, and I used the middle pickup rather than the bridge and a nylon rather than hard plastic pick, but you should be able to hear that it's starting to get into the ballpark for the sound that you are after. 

Nice. I see what you mean.

Echoing many of the statements here, I think the majority of the tone is coming from the amp and speakers but suggest lighter string gauge and something with a bridge pickup into a Fender Blackface style amp maybe. 

It's a tone I really like and have a couple of Bass VIs that could totally get in that ballpark with a careful consideration of settings. (it has a switchable high pass filter which I wouldn't use for traditional bass sounds but often use when I tune up to B for a Baritone and totally get into twang territory). 

The bass vi also tracks thematically with its history of being used to either double an upright bass or as a somewhat lead instrument invariably being used with guitar amps. 

Pair it up with a Fender blackface style amp and you could well be on your way. 

For this song, however, I reckon it could well be the double neck into a guitar amp. The bass and guitar sides probably use the same pickups and I actually have tried one of the longscale danos and even though it was going through a bass amp, I was impressed with the top end clarity. 

• Like 1