Why become a member? ×

When I was a kid I wanted to...

Marvin

When I was a kid all I ever wanted to do was be a commercial diver. I got a job in a dive centre and was aiming to get on a course at the dive school. Then I got into the band, drink, drugs and girls. I stupidly thought we could make a living out of playing. I never went for any chances I had as I didn't want to leave the band. Now I'm middle aged, I realise youth is wasted on the young.

• Like 3

On 27/12/2020 at 07:54, lownote12 said:

I always wanted to be an astronomer.  Then I met some astronomers and realised if I went ahead I would never get off with a woman. By the time I read up on Richard Feynman and found out you could do both it was too late. 

Reminds me of a mate of mine who went to uni to study Astrophysics, and ended up leaving the course because there were too many geeks on it.  He really is quite intelligent but hadn't quite considered this possibility.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 13:05, dmccombe7 said:

Deltic, Class 37's & 40's have been my fav loco's for many many years.

Being a train geek i have several models of the 37 and 40 but oddly enough i've never bought a Deltic. Its on my todo list tho.

Love the sound of diesels from that era.

Dave

The first named locomotive I ever saw at the beginning of my train spotting ’career’ was a class 40 pulling freight through Harlow, 40 027 Parthia.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 15:14, stewblack said:

First ambition I ever had was to be a lighthouse keeper. 

It seemed a wonderfully romantic proposition. 

Out on a small wave beaten rock, miles from anyone. Bliss. 

Perhaps not a 'normal' dream for a very young boy, but there you go. 

Mine too. Just me, the waves and the wind...oh, and wall to wall books and records.

At 18, I got the application form from Trinity House but was dissuaded by talk of increased automation. I’m also totally deaf in one ear so would have failed the medical.

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

Reminds me of a mate of mine who went to uni to study Astrophysics, and ended up leaving the course because there were too many geeks on it.  He really is quite intelligent but hadn't quite considered this possibility.

Our club is full of remarkably normal people, at least normal when we aren't discussing our shared interests when it can get very weird.

Last year someone gave a really good talk on Tardigrades (the honey badgers of the invertebrate world).

On 21/12/2020 at 19:59, silverfoxnik said:

... be an archaeologist. 

And given how antiquated, heavy and out of date some of my bass gear is, I'd say I've pretty much almost achieved my youthful goal! 😁

I was the same. But I sucked at classroom history- even though I love history. 😢

equally up until this year, being a full time muso has been a dream job

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

My son dives a few times a year at puffin dive centre, is that where you worked ubit 🙂

It used to be called Oban Divers and was owned by Dave Tye who used to ride for BSA before he was crippled in a diving accident. I believe it is called Puffin Dive Centre now mate.

• Thanks 1

When I was a kid I wanted to be something different every 15 minutes: wildlife photographer, join the air force, archaeologist, astrophysicist, hitman (well, this was not 100% serious, more like 90% ;) ), erm... paid-ladies'-companion (80%? :D ), park ranger, professional judoka, astronaut, a bar owner by the beach on a remote island (I just wanted the bar, not the customers, except my friends 😛 )...

Then I discovered music and I started moving towards electronic engineering than killing (bad) people for money. I figured I could make people wish they were dead instead by playing guitar really badly and I could still make some money in the process without having to deal with deeper moral issues.

As usual, life had its own plans and I ended up doing something else entirely, but Leon and Ghost Dog (The way of the samurai) are still two of my favourite movies ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

killing (bad) people for money.

😟😟😟 I have to tell you I don't like that thought at all - even if it was only a 90% case. I notice It goes against every grain in me.
You know, killing bad people for money doesn't contain half the fun and humour as does killing good people for money.
😉

Edited by BassTractor

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

deltic.jpg

D9016 (55 016) Gordon Highlander there. I managed to see all the class 55 Deltics, the last of which, 55 009 Alcydion eluded me for several years.

Really this thread should be left to it’s When I was a kid I wanted to... subject and maybe there should be train spotting/rail enthusiast thread elsewhere..?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

D9016 (55 016) Gordon Highlander there. I managed to see all the class 55 Deltics, the last of which, 55 009 Alcydion eluded me for several years.

Really this thread should be left to it’s When I was a kid I wanted to... subject and maybe there should be train spotting/rail enthusiast thread elsewhere..?

I'm not a rail spotter, more of an engine nerd. I do love a Deltic 👍

• Like 1

When I was a kid I just wanted to buy a ticket and be passenger on a train one day. All we ever did was buy platform tickets.
These days my inbox is filled with posts from people who seemingly can't see the difference between a Deltic and a Baby Deltic. 😡
😁

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I did start a Model Railways thread on here but we could open it up to anything railway related. The Model Railway isn't a busy thread as it stands so this might make it more interesting.

Model Railways & Related topics - Off Topic - Basschat

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

A fighter Pilot (Grandad was RAF during WW2, and served as groundcrew for a couple of Polish squadrons during the BoB - I grew up on those stories). Crap maths, eyesight and general health shot that one down in flames when I was 16.

I had three quite specific ambitions as a teenager;

1) Release a record (done that, initially on cassette and then on CD with vinyl finally coming much later - I had never specified vinyl at the time but upon reflection, this is what I had meant)

2) Play the Marquee Club in London (my teens were spent watching a VHS cassette of Hanoi Rocks at the Marquee & thankfully this ambition was far more achievable than I had anticipated - pleased I never picked Madison Square Gardens!)

3) Make a controversial appearance on the Wogan Show (the closest I got here was Jonathan Ross very reluctantly taking a demo tape off of me - that I assume went straight in the bin - in the street back in the 90s so I definitely fell very short here). I did make an appearance on 90s ITV rock show Noisy Mothers in early 1995 but we were on around 3am! 

In every case the reality was different to the fantasy but all good fun at the time. 

• Like 2

When at school I always wanted to be an astronaut. The closest I got was the musical after parties led to me becoming a well established space cadet...many a cosmic journey in those 90’s halcyon daze. Have grown up considerably since then 😉

• Haha 1

When I wasn't wanting to be a ROCK STAR playing at Wembly I wanted to be an aircraft engineer. Unfortunately it turned out I wasn't too hot on science, namely physics, and my maths was sort of only OK, so I decided that perhaps I should try different subjects. I went on to do Economics, History and Politics at A-Level and then Economics and Politics at University. I was quite good at them...although it didn't result in a decent job because I was naff at interviews. Oh well.

Somewhat strangely I did tick off one thing from my musical bucket list. About 2 years ago I played at the Arts centre in my town that had/has hosted the likes (not all good I might add) of John Martyn, Danny Thompson, Seth Lakeman, Show of Hands and Andy Fairweather-Low and loads of great gigs from local bands. The strange thing was that the first band I saw there was when I was 17. 30 years later I was stood on stage with the guitarist from that band (who's about 10 years older than me). So that made me smile a lot

• Like 1

All I ever wanted to be was a footballer. I played constantly and dreamed of nothing else, the only problem being I was rubbish. I dont mean not good enough, I mean absolute rubbish, couldn't even get in the school team. Then I discovered music and my dream became playing on the stage at Newcastle City Hall. Havent done it yet but I live in hope. Not Madison Sq Garden, or the O2, but the City Hall. I have seen all the greats play there from Yes, Tull, Genesis, ELP, Stones, Roxy Music, Queen etc etc and I would love to play on the same stage in front of my home audience.