Why become a member? ×

When I was a kid I wanted to...

Marvin

Wanted to be a Park Ranger. Then a Marine Biologist. (before those, an astronaut. But I'm near-sighted) Then my sister came home from summer@ the beach w/ a load of 8-tracks and I heard Jimi Hendrix. Got a Fender Mustang and didn't sound like J.H. Bought a Fender Jazz Bass 'cause my guitarist friends needed a bass player (stop me if you've heard this one before). Grades went down, went to Berklee College of Music, been cooking in restaurant bizniz ever since (Oh, you're a musician. What do you do for a living?). Retired, still plucking, mostly tapping (Chapman Stick) ever since. The Stick was my solution to not being able to play the guitar. HAHAHA 

19 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I always wanted to be a train driver when I was a child, on a NS ICM train (until recently commonly known as the "Koploper") specifically.

icm.jpg

I remember a time when I wanted to be a train driver but I wanted to drive a Deltic. Got to admit your Koploper looks nicer.

And yes they always looked as dirty as this!

Then I moved onto wanting to be a rock star - I never achieved either 😆

See the source image

• Like 2

I wanted to be an ophthalmic optician (what with wearing glasses/contact lenses from a very early age). However, my secondary school performance in physics put paid to that. At the interview for my first job, the interviewer asked me what I wanted from life (like a 16 year ever really knows) and I said that pro musician would be great but, realistically, I just wanted to be happy. Looking back, I think this was one of the most grown up things I ever said and, for the most part, I’ve think I’ve achieved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el borracho said:

I remember a time when I wanted to be a train driver but I wanted to drive a Deltic. Got to admit your Koploper looks nicer.

And yes they always looked as dirty as this!

Then I moved onto wanting to be a rock star - I never achieved either 😆

See the source image

Deltic, Class 37's & 40's have been my fav loco's for many many years.

Being a train geek i have several models of the 37 and 40 but oddly enough i've never bought a Deltic. Its on my todo list tho.

When i turned 40 and managerial job wasn't what i had hoped i almost went down the route of job change to be a train driver and even looked into how you start and what salary was but at start of £12-£16k i couldn't afford the drop at that time. 

Love the sound of diesels from that era.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Deltic, Class 37's & 40's have been my fav loco's for many many years.

Being a train geek i have several models of the 37 and 40 but oddly enough i've never bought a Deltic. Its on my todo list tho.

When i turned 40 and managerial job wasn't what i had hoped i almost went down the route of job change to be a train driver and even looked into how you start and what salary was but at start of £12-£16k i couldn't afford the drop at that time. 

Love the sound of diesels from that era.

Dave

Remember this comment?

“You're showing a lot of geekiness there”

FROM A TRAINSPOTTER?????????

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hang your head in shame. 😉

Edited by 4000
  • Haha 1

On 22/12/2020 at 10:32, 4000 said:

As a kid I wanted to be either a vet or the next Ray Harryhausen. Then I wanted to be a comic artist. Teens,, rock star.

Further to the above, as kids my best friend (at the time) and I used to make plasticene models together. He went on to work for Cosgrove Hall and then Tim Burton on Mars Attacks and The Corpse Bride. 

My best friend on my Fine Art Foundation course went on to become a professional illustrator, working mostly on Dr Who magazine (he’s always been a huge Dr Who fan). Given that I was considered equally talented at the time, I do wonder where I would have been if I hadn’t been sidetracked by music in my teens. 

Still, the 30 years in an office job that I hate in order to pay the bills while I pursue my “hobby” makes it all worth while. 😳😳😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple guys went with this: my Dad was always very supportive in ANY endeavour - supported my music aspirations ("as long as you take lessons"), drove me to and from rehersals with the amp barely fitting in the trunk...he was a truck driver, local, always home for dinner. Said he loved his job, it was different every day. Told me "whatever you do in life, I don't care if it's riding on the back of a garbage truck, as long as you enjoy it, persue it". I said before, I cooked for a living. I really enjoyed it, not for everyone, fast-paced, long hours, hard work. But at the end of the day, I knew i had put smiles on peoples faces. "With passion". Same as the music. One for my my soul, one to pay the bills. (and buy strings) All that matters. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 4000 said:

Remember this comment?

“You're showing a lot of geekiness there”

FROM A TRAINSPOTTER?????????

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hang your head in shame. 😉

Aye you got me there. 😂

Only a geek can spot another geek. 🤣

Dave🎅

• Haha 1

On 22/12/2020 at 15:28, LeftyJ said:

I always wanted to be a train driver when I was a child, on a NS ICM train (until recently commonly known as the "Koploper") specifically.

They were called Koploper (headwalker?) because the trains could be coupled together, and the doors in the front and rear of the connecting trains could be opened so you could literally walk from train to train. This feature was removed from 2005 to reduce weight and costs. I always found them fascinating as a child xD

icm.jpg

Treinen-6281.jpg

Locomotives frenchj kissing?

• Haha 1

On 21/12/2020 at 19:23, Marvin said:

...play in a rock band at Wembley stadium. From as far back as I can remember, from seeing maybe Live Aid, I don't know. But that's what I wanted to do. 

And watching INXS LiveBabyLive on iPlayer, yes I'd have some of that :D  Look at the crowd shot at about 15 secs.

I was lucky enough to see INXS live a couple of times. They were a fantastic band and great to watch live. Michael Hutchence was the epitome of a rock frontman. He had it all.

• Like 1

I always wanted to be an astronomer.  Then I met some astronomers and realised if I went ahead I would never get off with a woman. By the time I read up on Richard Feynman and found out you could do both it was too late. 

Edited by lownote12
  • Haha 2