Why become a member? ×

Warning: Beatles Content...

Old Man Riva

43 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If being in a band is the equivalent of playing a round of golf then OK, but this is why IMO it's usually preferable to keep friends and band members separate if you are more serious about being a musician.

a lot of bands initially get together because they're mates, or become mates, like the Beatles,  it's like being in a gang, it's only later on when bands get together because they're musicians, and then differences soon surface unless there's a clearly defined leader who decides things, the other follow for the money

On 22/12/2020 at 12:00, Happy Jack said:

Glyn Johns tells a different story (Sound Man, 2014). He says that Macca called him out of the blue and asked him to produce a TV special they were planning, to be filmed/recorded at Twickenham. George Martin was essentially fed up with the band's pre-collapse antics and wanted nothing to do with it.

The TV thing never happened, and the project morphed into the Let It Be project that we all ... erm ... have mixed feelings about, shot at Twickenham and at Apple HQ in Savile Row.

The reason George Martin got involved was that Lennon and Harrison had been completely fooled by Magic Alex (look him up if you're not familiar with the name) into paying for a sooper-dooper sound system that Alex was to install at Savile Row. Come the first session there, the recording professionals were wetting themselves laughing at a teenager's home stereo.

The Beatles called George Martin at Abbey Road, and he quickly shipped down to Savile Row enough kit to complete the project. That's why Martin appears in the montage; he wasn't producing, he was keeping an eye on his kit!

The Phil Spector thing happened later, entirely at Lennon's demand, and without Macca even being consulted. What he did to the production on the album was genuinely the final straw that broke the relationship between Lennon and Macartney. Personally, my sympathy is entirely with Macca - Lennon was so far out of order that I would never have been prepared to work with him again.

Over the last nearly 50 years the stories have twisted and turned, and many have tried to make Macca the villain of the piece. Unfortunately for them, pretty much all the evidence (and I've waded through a LOT of it) simply confirms and re-confirms that Macca was right all along, while smack-head Lennon was making a series of appalling decisions.

I have mixed feelings about this documentary..  I'm quite a Beatles fan and I think they are just changing history a bit imo.

I've kept myself busy with reading a couple of books about the Let it be period and one of them was a word for word transcription of all the conversations during Let it be, every song which was played (even it was only three seconds..) etc..Written down with the date, the hour and even the minute when it was spoken or played.

It was hard stuff to read but to me the horror was obvious (I remember that they only had fun when singing old classic rock n roll songs)...The countless times Harrison started "All things must pass" to be bluntly stopped by Paul who wants to sing "The Long and winding road" . The fact that Lennon during a certain periode refused to speak to anyone and Yoko had to do the talking "since he and Yoko think the same things" so Lennon didn't want to speak...Hearing her suggesting to play the concert for thousands of empty seats as a protest during what was going on in the world, even mentioning tigers on stage...Ringo who hardly says a word and is a quiet shadow most of the time. Harrison who even left.. It's a tough legacy and it has always been clear that Paul and Ringo would like to see another take on that part of their history so Jackson has to go through 56 hours of footage and surely he'll find enough to paint a different picture than the dreary Let it be movie.. I can understand that someone says "you weren't there" but I can't image that the thirty books I've read about the Beatles were all made up or a trick of the imagination...(sorry for my English, I'm Flemish). It was such a terrible episode that they had to record "Abbey Road" to have a decent ending...

I am exited too but it still feels a bit like manipulating history. When you think what kind of relief it apparantly was when Preston entered and everyone showed themselves to be the friendly guy "because no one wanted to show that he was the pain in the *ss" according to one of The Beatles..