Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender to Sandberg

Pirellithecat

image.thumb.png.b391b57fe8c963a8f7a0b4841338d5fd.png

Finally managed to collect my new toy which replaces a Fender Professional P Bass.  

Summary ........ This has the nicest / most playable neck I've ever tried, it's light, and the body feels smaller than a P and feels great.   A strange analogy,  but it just  "fits like a glove" .   And it does look rather cool and could end up as a classic!  So thanks to Mark at Cool and Classic guitars for his patience (took a few months to collect this due to it being a 700 mile round trip  to collect and Lockdown etc) and for making the process of buying so easy! 

Starting to get to grips with the tone - which is a LOT more complicated to deal with than a passive P Bass  and can't wait to play it with the band.

Is it good?   Well, I haven't put it down for three days, so I reckon it must be. 

Hmmmm .... Nice! 

• Like 17

Yup! Sandberg have got it right. I was a Fender or Lakland chappy but I’m a total convert - now I have 3 Sandbergs!

Should really use this moment to add a cheeky pic...and a huge thanks to @edstraker123 for my recent Bullet addition 😊. Still smitten with them all. 

D31DC3BB-84BD-4778-973E-90D09AB55B14.thumb.jpeg.8b97df3c2bb46adf8b4997d1fcbb0f66.jpeg

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 5

The Fender Professional P is (was) a lovely bass.

However, I just didn't gel with the neck - coming from Ibanez and Squire Jazz necks.

I played the P at rehearsals but never reached for it at home.

Since Thursday I suspect that I have played the Sandberg more than I played the P (at home), in total, for the year I had it. 

It's a dream to play.

Can't wait for my TI Flats to arrive and then to get together with the band for a bash - but I know I'll have to be patient for that!

6 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

The Fender Professional P is (was) a lovely bass.

However, I just didn't gel with the neck - coming from Ibanez and Squire Jazz necks.

I played the P at rehearsals but never reached for it at home.

Since Thursday I suspect that I have played the Sandberg more than I played the P (at home), in total, for the year I had it. 

It's a dream to play.

Can't wait for my TI Flats to arrive and then to get together with the band for a bash - but I know I'll have to be patient for that!

Great Strings TI’s I love them - hope it works out for you, but I will say that Sandy’s do seem a little sensitive on the strings they like - I have read a few reports of people not liking their usual brand on them, or actually preferring stock to their usual brand.

I have used TI’s on a couple of Sandy’s and I am sure you will be fine

• 3 weeks later...

Well - TI's "installed" and it's a step in the right direction.   Probably need to spend a little time tweaking the set-up to get the last 10% but I can't put the bloody thing down long enough to fiddle with it!   A shout out for the strings it came with though - they seem really good (for roundwounds) - I might put them onto my other bass just to see how they feel on another instrument .

So, after a month, it is definitely the nicest bass I've played, the neck is pretty much perfect for me - not too chunky but not too thin, nice and smooth with no resistance from the fret ends.    The slightly smaller body is also very comfortable, feels lighter than the Fender, balances really well and I like having the extra frets.   The tuners are great and it stays in tune for ever.  It just has that certain "je ne sais quoi"!

Need a live session to see whether I can work out how to get the best tone, as playing in a little room in the house it's a bit brighter than I'd like - actually it's probably more "middy" than bright, but I suspect that'll be really good in a band setting.

I'd really like to try a passive P style Sandberg - and I did configure one on their web site - just like this one with just a split coil ....... nice ....... . I do hope no-one puts one up for sale on here as it might create a little domestic tension  ..... when's Christmas again? 

• Like 2

Given the way I play, TI's are probably not the best strings for my Sandberg VM4!   95% fingerstyle, 5% pick, good old 70's rock/blues. The TI's were "the answer" on my Squire and Fender P, but not on the Sandberg as I suspect that the string tension is a little low as I'm getting a fair bit of extraneous string noise (Buzzing/clacking etc) - they just seem too "floppy" (is that a technical expression?).  Tuning up half a tone reduces the unwanted noises which I guess supports the tension thought.

So, has anyone any suggestions for an alternative which sounds (and feels like the TI's do on a Fender P)  but has more tension, if that's not an oxymoron?  Really not looking for fencing wire or anything too bright, but something that is bendable yet not too floppy! 

Ta

On 22/12/2020 at 06:15, Cuzzie said:

Great Strings TI’s I love them - hope it works out for you, but I will say that Sandy’s do seem a little sensitive on the strings they like - I have read a few reports of people not liking their usual brand on them, or actually preferring stock to their usual brand.

I have used TI’s on a couple of Sandy’s and I am sure you will be fine

Hi Cuzzie,   Sorry if I've missed this but which strings do you find work well on your Sandbergs?  As an experiment I've tried the original Sandberg strings on my Squier and they are really good (a bit of an eye opener!) BUT they are very high tension compared to the TI's I took off.    On the Sandberg they don't feel that "high tension" which explains why the TI's seem really loose.   

I guess this means I should be looking for mid to high tension strings for the Sandberg (VM4). 

10 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

Hi Cuzzie,   Sorry if I've missed this but which strings do you find work well on your Sandbergs?  As an experiment I've tried the original Sandberg strings on my Squier and they are really good (a bit of an eye opener!) BUT they are very high tension compared to the TI's I took off.    On the Sandberg they don't feel that "high tension" which explains why the TI's seem really loose.   

I guess this means I should be looking for mid to high tension strings for the Sandberg (VM4). 

No worries - for Rounds I use DR Hi Beams.

Flats TI 

I have used TI Jazz rounds and they may provide a nice inbetween