Why become a member? ×

Practice Combo Amp

soundbass

What are the recommendations for a small combo amplifier up to £75

Looking for something new that is reliable and sounds good for practicing, I just need something portable I can easily plug in and move to different room. 

I’m looking into getting back to some practice as I’ve not been in a band for a few years. 

many thanks 

• Like 1

Given your budget I recommend scanning the Basschat amps for sale section. Also Facebook groups which can have some real bargains.

My ideal top-tip is the Roland bass micro cube. Tuner, effects and rhythm/drum patterns included. However the cheapest price I can see new is £210.

• Thanks 1

Have a quick look on Gumtree... or local eBay ya never know what might be round the corner or down the road collection only? Fender Baby Rumble 15? Anything new at under £100 ya likely be paying £10 postage?

I got a Marshall MB15 for £35 in lockdown #1

Take ya bass and extension lead and give it a test on the drive?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

Eight years ago, I liked the RedSub ones, meaning that comparing their 35W version with a similar Roland Cube, I much preferred the sound of the RedSub, and bought that one rather than the Cube.
Dunno what has happened since, but still deemed it worthy of mentioning as the RedSubs are still being offered.

This one's within your budget:
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BP20plus-20W-Bass-Guitar-Amplifier/1I8D
No massive bass range, but the overtone spectrum still gives a good impression.

• Thanks 1

If you're still looking for a portable amp, with just enough power and tone for practice, you can buy the dirt cheap Joyo MA-10B Portable Bass Amp (€33, yes £33) coupled to an external power bank like the Harley Benton PowerPlant Powerbank (£35, yes £35). It's a totally portable solution that you can use anywhere with the external power bank or the external power supply...

I own this little system and it stays on the table looking like a toaster, so not disturbing at all. 😉

This is the amp : https://m.thomann.de/gb/joyo_ma_10b_portable_bass_amp.htm

And the power bank with enough current : https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_powerbank.htm

On 20/12/2020 at 19:45, pbasspecial said:

If it’s just for practicing at home, I’d recommend using a zoom b3 or b3n with headphones. Pick them up s/h for not much more. 

Thats how i play at home, but last Christmas i got a 25watt Fender Rumble LT25 combo. Really nice little thing with a digital front end for amp sims and built in FX etc. Problem is, i still prefer the private practice experience of headphones. 

The LT25 gets my vote, but its double the budget. Although there are plenty of small combos around i think its worth spending a tiny bit more (£150) and getting something that wont put you off. 

Any other option would be something like a Bluetooth speaker with a line input. I use one occasionally in the living room, fed from my Zoom B1, and it actually sounds very good. 

On 20/12/2020 at 22:31, Bassfinger said:

Well, you ssy you're looking for something new.   I picked up a Bryce 20W bass combo for £65 earlier this year. 10 inch speaker, well constructed, nice sound, no nonsense.  Im happy.

http://brycemusic.co.uk/bass_guitar_amps/bryce_music_20_watt_bass_guitar_amplifier/27003_p.html

I really don't need a small amp for home use as I practice with headphones, and I have the little Vox Pathfinder 10 for chucking in a carrier bag and taking round a mates house for quiet practice (I would recommend one of these for the budget), but in true Basschat style I now find myself wanting one of these. I really like the style of it. 👍