Why become a member? ×

Hipshot USA ultralite machienheads vs licensed ultralite mchine heads

shoulderpet

49 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

What is the difference between these other than the USA ones costing much more ?

Hipshot licensed ultralites

Hipshot USA ultralites

I do not have a sensible answer, however, my USA Ultralites took over 5 months to be delivered (arrived this week), when I could have had licensed ones in a week back at the beginning of July!

Hipshot spec details say USA ultralites are able to be reversed whereas the licensed version can't. I had an inline 4 US ultralites..reversed one & stuck the set on a Ray. I don't know if the licensed version have the allen screw at the end of the worm drive shaft as per pic..

41xE8EQ0JQL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Edited by Dov65
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Not to derail the thread.......but, are the Sadowsky-branded tuners generic licenced Hipshot tuners? 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_bass_tuner_light_open_1r_bk.htm

they look similar but the screws are different and the gear looks different too.

the big stand out for me is the quoted weight, most sources quote about 44g per tuner for the Hipshot ones and these quote 70g.

I have USA hipshots on my Letts and the licensed ones on my U-Bass, i've not noticed a difference between them, in fact i had to check the Letts to see if they were USA or Licensed as they feel the same.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dov65 said:

Hipshot spec details say USA ultralites are able to be reversed whereas the licensed version can't. I had an inline 4 US ultralites..reversed one & stuck the set on a Ray. I don't know if the licensed version have the allen screw at the end of the worm drive shaft as per pic..

41xE8EQ0JQL._AC_SS350_.jpg

I've got a set of the licensed version and they don't have that allen screw. Nice tuners and made a small but positive difference to balance of the bass I switched them onto compared to the no-brand ones that were there before.