Why become a member? ×

Hotone Ampero II Stomp

Al Krow

This could be interesting - Hotone seem to be positioning themselves as a serious competitor to Helix. I really like the compact design, but pricing will be key.

See the source image

Has a powerful Tri-Core DSP processor which allows parallel routing with 12 simultaneous blocks in total.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, madshadows said:

I have an Hotone Ampero One and it's terrific, similar to this but has an expression pedal :) 

John 😎 

I think the expectation was that the Ampero Stomp was going to be the Ampero One without the expression pedal.

But looking at the spec sheet, the Stomp seems to be considerably souped-up e.g. ability to provide parallel effect routing and 12 effect blocks from its Tri-Core rather than dual core processor. Word on the street is that it will likely be at quite a premium in price to the Ampero One, to reflect this.

Great that you've found the Ampero One to be terrific - I presume from that there's more than enough bass specific / bass usable effects to keep you happy?

My Mandarin / Cantonese is zero - but this gives you an idea of some of the neat features on this e.g. the touchscreen and being able to drag and drop your effects rather than needing to mess about with knobs. 

【电吉他/贝斯/效果器】2020上海国际乐展Hotone最新单块式综合Ampero Stomp上手体验_哔哩哔哩 (゜-゜)つロ 干杯~-bilibili

Elsewhere I've read that it also offers features found in some of top-end multifx's e.g. ability to draw the EQ curve you want.

One impressive UI!

21 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Pronunciation? "Ho tone" or "Hot one"? 

I'm pretty sure nobody pronounces in "Ho tony" 

I do, but then I also say Epee Phone! 😀  I look forward to this one as have been on the fence for some time re the HX Stomp and GT-1000 Core

Edited by Bobthedog

On 21/12/2020 at 10:10, Al Krow said:

Great that you've found the Ampero One to be terrific - I presume from that there's more than enough bass specific / bass usable effects to keep you happy?

Yes quite a few bass related amps, cabs, effects on the unit, only about 10 actual bass presets but I've created a few and I'm happy with it for bass but I'd say it's more targeted to guitarist's as a lot of these kind of units seem to be, sounds great though through headphones and the HEADRUSH FRFR108 I have, really happy with it :D 

John 😎 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madshadows said:

Yes quite a few bass related amps, cabs, effects on the unit, only about 10 actual bass presets but I've created a few and I'm happy with it for bass but I'd say it's more targeted to guitarist's as a lot of these kind of units seem to be, sounds great though through headphones and the HEADRUSH FRFR108 I have, really happy with it :D 

John 😎 

Great, thanks. Is there an up to date list of bass amps & cabs and effects you can share with us?

Yeah - not too bothered about presets, I tend to find that I end up creating my patches from scratch anyway! 

Edited by Al Krow

I'm a hot tone pronouncer too. 

Still undecided about a multi. I see one in my future, the Helix appears to make the most sense, but now there's this one. 

And I just can't shift the Plethora from my mind, even though it is more of a straight forward 'pedal board but in one box' option, it appeals to me. 

I will wait for the reviews from you early adopter types, then see what's what. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 15:11, Bobthedog said:

I do, but then I also say Epee Phone! 😀  I look forward to this one as have been on the fence for some time re the HX Stomp and GT-1000 Core

I walked in to Sound Control in Newcastle years ago and asked if they could order me an Epifani 6x10" cabinet. The man behind the counter told me that they don't make bass cabinets. I told him that's all they make. This went back and forth for some time before we deduced that he'd never heard of Epifani and was too polite to tell me that I was mispronouncing 'Epiphone'.

• Haha 4

I've got a sneaky suspicion the Ampero Stomp could be released at NAMM 2021. I've just managed to release some funds back into the gear pot so I'm very much looking forward to seeing whether it does and also what else crawls out the woodwork on the multifx front.

HX Effects will be 3 years old shortly and just wondering whether Line 6 will be updating any of their hardware to react to some of the competition starting to snap at their heels?

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I've got a sneaky suspicion the Ampero Stomp could be released at NAMM 2021. I've just managed to release some funds back into the gear pot so I'm very much looking forward to seeing whether it does and also what else crawls out the woodwork on the multifx front.

HX Effects will be 3 years old shortly and just wondering whether Line 6 will be updating any of their hardware to react to some of the competition starting to snap at their heels?

The question though then is if they can do so without also having to add to the price to such a degree that they will run into other competitors already occupying that sort of price and quality class market currently.

Line 6's great strength as a company has up until now been that they were about the only company that took up a certain market for multi effects, where all other companies focusing respectively on either much cheaper but also somewhat lower quality digital multi effects or super high end and really expensive digital multi effects, Line 6,  until quite recently where other companies has been opting in with somewhat similar solutions, has been alone on the market with sort of upper middle ground offerings. 

It seems as if the Japanese and Chinese finally have caught up with Line 6, and quite likely at offering prices Line 6 won't be able to really compete with.

Will be interesting to see for certain though what will actually happen.

For the consumers though it can only be seen as a positive development.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Good post BB.

14 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It seems as if the Japanese and Chinese finally have caught up with Line 6, and quite likely at offering prices Line 6 won't be able to really compete with.

It's funny you mention Japanese (and Chinese) catching up with Line6 - I guess I think of them as being a Japanese brand, these days, following their acquisition by Yamaha back in 2013.

11 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Line6 are still releasing updates years after the initial release though, I wonder if these other brands would do the same?

Zoom (aka Roland) and Boss certainly have done so. The main other competition to Line6 in the 'mid range' price bracket seem to be Mooer with their GE models and Hotone with the Ampero.

But I think they all know that the sales of their hardware will be dependent on the both the quality of the fx sims they make available as well as the hardware. 

• 2 weeks later...

The dual inputs are definitely interesting, since I'm getting more in to running dual pickup outputs and processing them differently a la Rick-O-Sound. The Line6 Helix and Boss GT-1000 can do that, but at a hefty price, so I'll keep one eye on this one and hope it has that capability.

• 1 month later...

YT video recently out.  

+ Serious DSP allowing parallel routing for 12 blocks, decent screen (touch enabled => able to 'draw' your desired EQ profile)

- No balanced XLR output (but need to check whether the 1/4" outputs are already balanced, anyway?)

Looks interesting / promising.

• Like 1