Why become a member? ×

Ken Burns’ Jazz documentary on Freeview

DylanB

For anyone who might be interested, PBS America (Freeview channel 91) are showing the Jazz documentary by Ken Burns over the next couple of days. Starting at 1pm tomorrow (Monday).

It’s a bit much to sit through as they’re doing it in two massive chunks Monday and Tuesday, but if you can set your telly box to record all episodes you can dig in later at your leisure.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, mikel said:

One of the most interesting and informative music docs I have seen so far. We have it in box set.

I've got the box set too and have watched some of the segments several times and learn something every time and enjoy the music.

I agree with your feelings about it and was very surprised when I Googled some reviews and found some very harsh criticism from some pretty big names as well as others, I hadn't realized it was so controversial.

That being said, maybe I'll watch a couple of segments over the holidays.

Sadly, I spotted this thread too late so only able to watch (and record) the latter parts. No worries, I'll keep a look out for any possible repeat showings (it's also currently on Sky 174).

Also, while looking for possible repeat showings, I spotted PBS America are also showing an 8-part documentary about Country Music, split over Saturday (from 1.30pm) and Sunday (from 1.00pm).

I've always loved Jazz and Country in equal measure so for me it's a win-win! :)

I’m taking a belt and braces approach.

1. I’m watching this documentary

2. I received this excellent looking book for Christmas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Gary-Giddins/dp/0393068617

3. Sep-Dec this year I took a History of Jazz online course through the VSO school in Vancouver, which I think was actually largely based on the above book.

I’m hopeful that with this three pronged approach, some of this information might actually stick in my thick skull 👍

• Haha 1