Why become a member? ×

New Epifani Cabs

chris_b

[quote]D.I.S.T. & EpiFunky By Bass Gear Magazine
D.I.S.T. Series

The Unique D.I.S.T. Series technology, implemented by Epifani, includes a revolutionary new proprietary neodymium speaker design with a complex crossover and wiring network that [b]allows the user to select the ideal impedance – 8 or 4 ohms [/b]– to optimize maximum power output from their amp and cabinet combination in a single or multiple cabinet system.[/quote]

A crossover that allows you to select 4 or 8 ohms? I don't know how that works but it sounds useful!

Interesting idea, looking at [url="http://www.bassgearmag.com/blog/?p=109"]this article[/url] they claim that each speaker has 2 coils which allows the switching. Won't this affect the performance though? i'd have thought that a speaker with only one coil would be better than one carrying the dead weight of a second unused coil. Maybe the convenience outweighs the small performance hit though, or maybe it's so small as not to be an issue.

[quote name='SteveO' post='439956' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:35 AM']Interesting idea, looking at [url="http://www.bassgearmag.com/blog/?p=109"]this article[/url] they claim that each speaker has 2 coils which allows the switching. Won't this affect the performance though? i'd have thought that a speaker with only one coil would be better than one carrying the dead weight of a second unused coil. Maybe the convenience outweighs the small performance hit though, or maybe it's so small as not to be an issue.[/quote]
I can understand the principle for one driver, but what happens in a 4x10 cab?!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440046' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:57 AM']A fantastic marketing concept...

Alex[/quote]
While we're on that subject, from Epifani's site:

[quote]The Epifunky 150C Combo Amp features an unusually powerful 150 W amplifier paired with a proprietary 15-inch, 200 W woofer and 50 W adjustable tweeter, is able to handle any live situation and stile with plenty to spare and a sound that is rich, fat, and round.[/quote]

Three points.

1 ) 'An unusually powerful 150-watt amplifier.' :)

2 ) Will it be able to handle this stile?

3) 'Epifunky'?

Please, Epifani... don't jump the shark. You're better than that.

The AccuSwitch was indeed complete BS - it used a large capacitor to isolate one woofer from DC so a DC resistance meter would read both woofers for 4 ohms or just one woofer for 8 ohms. Didn't actually make any difference at all to the impedance between 20Hz and 20kHz.

I gather the Epifani solution uses dual voice coils to achieve the switchable impedance so it actually works but it's solving a problem that only exists in people's minds and the solution introduces a whole host of other issues which are far too boring to go into on a bass forum!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440236' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:56 PM']What happens when you increase Mms? Does switching voice coil change BL and thus Qes and sensitivity? Etc etc.

Alex[/quote]

ok, point taken, but the 64k question is 'is it likely to be worse than a 'normal' system?'

[quote name='alexclaber']...but it's solving a problem that only exists in people's minds...[/quote]

that was my first thought, but then again i'm unlikely to be in the situation of wishing my 4ohm cabs were 8ohms. maybe I would if I wanted to add 2 more cabs to the rig, but i doubt this is gonna happen. Perhaps this is a real problem and I just haven't come across it yet, or perhaps it's just the marketing men trying to convince us that the new and improved gear is better and the old gear we were once happy with is now worthless crap.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440236' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:56 PM']What happens when you increase Mms?[/quote]

Allergic reaction or sugar rush, depending upon whether they are the peanut ones or chocolate ones.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440236' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:56 PM']Does switching voice coil change BL and thus Qes and sensitivity?[/quote]

No. Unless the FxI is greater than the Rmin (assuming TW0 is approximately the same as NK - in a theoretical system where they were significantly different, you'd want FxI to be less than half the difference between Rmin and BIPmin).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440236' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:56 PM']Etc etc.[/quote]

Come on, we've barely scratched the surface here. Give me a tough one.

S.P.

This from the Bass Gear Mag article SteveO links to

[quote]Nick Epifani figured out a way to put two voice coils on his drivers, enabling a legitimate change of impedance. This is such a neat trick that we awarded Nick and his cohorts our 2009 NAMM Show Award for Outstanding Design.[/quote]

Well done Nick & Co. for figuring out how to do something that's been going on for the last 20-odd years. [/sarcasm mode]

If some of these journo's knew any less, they'd actually have a vacuum between their ears.

A

[quote name='Platypus' post='439927' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:19 AM']Is this not what Accougroove did to great acclaim a few years back.....[/quote]

[quote name='Toasted' post='440040' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:51 AM']Accuswitch?[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440046' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:57 AM']A fantastic marketing concept...

Alex[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='440188' date='Mar 20 2009, 12:11 PM']The AccuSwitch was indeed complete BS - it used a large capacitor to isolate one woofer from DC so a DC resistance meter would read both woofers for 4 ohms or just one woofer for 8 ohms. Didn't actually make any difference at all to the impedance between 20Hz and 20kHz.

I gather the Epifani solution uses dual voice coils to achieve the switchable impedance so it actually works but it's solving a problem that only exists in people's minds and the solution introduces a whole host of other issues which are far too boring to go into on a bass forum!

Alex[/quote]

Yep and yep and yep and +1's!

It is smoke and mirrors and marketing BS. If you are not loud enough then switching impedance to get more watts from your amp wont make any difference. It will keep all the numpties that think they [b]have[/b] to get every bean from their amp happy I guess but at what price?

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='440054' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:01 AM']1 ) 'An unusually powerful 150-watt amplifier.' :)[/quote]
Yes. It has 150 unusually powerful watts inside it, which is equivalent to 250 of the normal watts you find in most other amplifiers, and 400 of the slightly feeble imitation watts you find in Behringers. They are getting celebrity endorsement for it from Normal Watts-Roy, who is changing his name to Unusually Powerful Watts-Roy in honour of the amplifier.